Using Unique Font

onlyican

Hey
Mods: Sorry, not sure where to post this, I live in here, Move if u like (I know u will anyway)

I have a font, which is not a "Standard" font

I have been told I can use this on my website, by uploading it to the server

Is this true?

Is so, how do I go about doing this, and linking to that font, so I can use it.

Many thanks

Basically, only fonts that exist on the client computer can be displayed by the client browser, i.e. if I don't have amazingly_awful.ttf on my computer it will not display even if it's on your server and defined in your html/CSS code.

There are three alternatives:

#1 - the best: don't use non-standard fonts

#2 - restrict the use of non-standard fonts to images.  There's an obvious accessibility problem with that since screen readers can't read images. Google for IFR or sIFR for some reasonable CSS workarounds.  Using images can be either static images you create or dynamic images generated by GD at runtime.

#3 - attempt to use Microsoft's [url=http://www.microsoft.com/typography/web/embedding/weft3/]http://www.microsoft.com/typography/web/embedding/weft3/[/url] [WEFT] technology which might result in your font being displayed on a visitor's web page.  Tricky and time-consuming.

[quote author=onlyican link=topic=105756.msg422579#msg422579 date=1156632284]
Sorry, I will use the the following
font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
Which I normally do anyway.
[/quote]
As far as I know, none of those fonts are included in linux. Try:
[code]
font-family: Arial, Helvetica, Deja Vu Sans, sans-serif;[/code]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.