Defining font via URL in PHP

Tazerenix

Hey, i think i saw a function that could do this a while ago. Is there a way you can define the font of a string via a url. Eg:

<?php
echo thefunction("Hello World!", "./fonts/times-new-roman.ttf");
?>

or something like that?

PHP is a server side language, Functions like that look like they'd exist in JS/PDF/Java..

hmm alright, i'll check some javascript functions then

What 'string' are you wanting to apply it to? GD is the only thing it could be applied to. If you're talking about a string on a web page, than the CSS function to import font from an url only works on FF3.5 and similar browsers.

well im only making the website in support for the latest browsers (chrome, IE8 and ff) so does it work in IE8 or chrome?

Look at this web page for the directive: https://developer.mozilla.org/index.php?title=En/CSS/%40font-face

But I believe only Firefox 3.5 allows this feature, I'm not 100% sure IE even would read it. You'd have to look up compatability for the @font-face. But yes, this is really more a CSS question.

EDIT: spec url

well im only making the website in support for the latest browsers (chrome, IE8 and ff) so does it work in IE8 or chrome?

Look at this web page for the directive: https://developer.mozilla.org/index.php?title=En/CSS/%40font-face

But I believe only Firefox 3.5 allows this feature, I'm not 100% sure IE even would read it. You'd have to look up compatability for the @font-face. But yes, this is really more a CSS question.

EDIT: spec url

alright, looks good

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.