how do i launch my site and avoid immediate copycatters?

silverglade

Hi, i want to launch a site which i think is unique as it provides a really great service, and revenue will be from google ads. the problem is, im scared that when i launch my site and it becomes somewhat popular, someone else will copy what i did and make it way more successful, crushing me before i get known. I was wondering how i could prevent this please? Do I need to pay for mass email lists ? I just dont know how not to get crushed before i start. any help greatly appreciated. thanks. derek

Sorry Derek, but there's no sure fire way to stop people from copying your site. It's impossible. When a person really wants to get something off another persons site, they can do it. They might not be able to get your code, but whatever you show them, they can take

Its actually not as caveman like as Garethp suggests. You can trademark your logos, or slogan, and such. You can also put up a copyright notice, a privacy policy, and look into a trade dress. http://smallbusiness.findlaw.com/trademark/trademark-domain-names/website-appearance.html

The thing about competition is who has the better appeal. If you are confident in your product, I suggest you get a partnership going so you can handle how it grows. Finances, development, and logistics are all departments you'll want to cover but not all by yourself. A great way to stay on top of the game is to have a team that's ready to meet the demand.

You can trademark your logos, or slogan, and such. You can also put up a copyright notice, a privacy policy, and look into a trade dress.

You cannot copyright or trademark ideas though. For instance, Facebook is a trademark, it's layout is copyrighted, but its functionality is comprised of ideas. For ideas you need patents. These are expensive, and in terms of software development stupid (http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/en/m/intro/index.html).

thank you so much everyone for replying so fast. very helpful responses. i guess the only protection i have is just to be better than the competition, and keep it that way. thank you so much for the awesome replies. i really have a clear idea of what it takes now. thank you. derek. also, hi gareth! hehe. :D

The best defense againt other people not copying your site is not to launch the thing in the first place (granted, this automatically cripples your online presence (or lack thereof)) so yeah, that might be problematic.  ::)

As others have suggested.. best defense is to outdo the competition. If your services, pricing and branding / marketing is top notch, this is more important than fear of being duplicated. As Dan mentioned, you cannot copyright / protect ideas / concepts. It's truly a waste of time trying to defend against such things. You might was well look for how not to die.. ever (good luck with that).

I really hate that pathatic retarded kind of people. To dumb to study but all of a sudden they have wonderfull idea's.. (Probably got these while reading the Playboy on the John). Sue you for each and every thing on you. If you make a buck then they want 99% of that buck for them. You worked 100% for each buck and they did nothing to deserve it and yet they think they earned it..

I really truly HATE these kind of people and if I ever get so much money I'll let it turn into gold bars and then dig a deep whole put them all in and instead of cement I'll bury them in GOLD!! See how much of it they want then...

As long as there is no readily available software ready to go opensource that anyone can download, it will keep the noobs out from compiting with you, I reckon from obversation most webmasters who use google adsense can't  code there way out of a paper bag, there not much of a threat to your idea.

I really hate that pathatic retarded kind of people. To dumb to study but all of a sudden they have wonderfull idea's.. (Probably got these while reading the Playboy on the John). Sue you for each and every thing on you. If you make a buck then they want 99% of that buck for them. You worked 100% for each buck and they did nothing to deserve it and yet they think they earned it..

I really truly HATE these kind of people and if I ever get so much money I'll let it turn into gold bars and then dig a deep whole put them all in and instead of cement I'll bury them in GOLD!! See how much of it they want then...

That's where you slip into the dark side of the 'net. IF they copy you, copy the act of annihilation. I'm sure a mipmap of a poorly rushed site may have a few places to add automated payback to.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.