track website search engine placement by keyword?

michaellunsford

I've seen a few paid tools that can track where a website ranks in google/yahoo/bing for a certain keyword phrase. It's a great tool, but I want to build my own for my own clients. Maybe my google skills aren't what they used to be because doing searches for this give me all the usual spam SEO junk.

So, the gist of the question, is there a google / yahoo / bing API or something I can feed a website URL and a keyword phrase and get it to tell me what number that site is in the search results? Or, am I limited to curling google, scraping the page and then curling the next page until I find it?

Okay, I can appreciate that if I create an account in google analytics, yahoo's version of the same, bing's version of the same, hotbot's version of the same, ask's version of the same, et cetera into perpetuity, I can track all these separate search engines separately using their own proprietary UI. Great news, but this is not the question.

The question is how how can one capture this data for recording using his own methods and do what he pleases with it? There are innumerable SEO companies out there doing exactly this. They don't require their clients to have separate logins for the three, four, or even twelve search engines, it's all kept in one place. How are they doing it?

Uhhhh.....  I think GA shows referrals from all search engines, not just Googles.

By the way, if you mean that you want to figure out what placement your site is in the search results for a term (like 3rd for "potato" for example) then that's not possible.  Well, technically possible, but the only way I know of to do it on google is to google it then click through the results until you find it (or make a script that does that).

yeah, that's what it looks like. The only places I've been able to find that are doing it (and not terribly secretive about it) are using search options to increase results to 100 per page (yahoo and google) and then scraping the page looking for the data. I suppose this is not a terrible option - it sure beats scraping 10 pages.

Bing has no such option that I can find. They're supposed to have a cookie driven preference that lets you get 50 results per page, but so far I can't even get it to work in my browser (surprise).

So, the gist of the question, is there a google / yahoo / bing API or something I can feed a website URL and a keyword phrase and get it to tell me what number that site is in the search results? Or, am I limited to curling google, scraping the page and then curling the next page until I find it?

Oh lordy, how I wish there was. Google stopped the use of their API. Google Analytics will not do what you require. Join the club and suffer the pain of scraping Google rankings. This is going to take some work by the way. Google has many template layouts and is always adding new features to its SERPS. Also look at datacenter addresses as opposed to the standard google.com/.co.uk etc. Do not attempt without proxies, you will get banned!

Suggest registering with one of the blackhat forums to get some ideas. Wish I could offer more help but people will be reluctant as tools that do this job effectively are worth their weight in gold.

options to increase results to 100 per page

The filtered results are not a true representation of rankings.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.