setting equal variables

hcspider

I'm fairly new to PHP. I've used it for basic includes and that's about the extent of my experience, so please excuse me if this is a pretty obvious answer.

I'm building a site now where I define certain variables in the top of the page (title, pageID, pageClass... things of that nature). Something like this:

[code]
<?php
$pageTitle = "Welcome!"; //set page title
$pageID = "home"; //top level category of page
$pageClass = "threecolumncenter"; //layout of page
?>
<body id="<? echo $pageID; ?>" class="<? echo $pageClass; ?>">[/code]

I'm also using the class in the body tag as a way to define the layout of the page (2 columns, 3 columns, 4 columns, etc) using CSS. It's working great. But now, there will be more than just me editing this site so I'd like a way to uncomplicate the CSS class names since they are long and could easily cause typos.

To do this, ideally I'd like to use a PHP script that could read something like:

<? if ($layout == "3center") set $pageClass == "threecolumncenter"; ?>

This way, $layout would be defined at the top of the page like the other variables.

I know there's no "set" function, but how could I go about doing this? I've tried everything I could think of, and Googleing but I'm afraid my naivety in how to define this is stopping me from finding an answer.

Is this making sense? Thanks...

Addam

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.