Safe inserts?

clay1

This seems like something that should be easy to find, but I've been searching for a week for an answer.

I've got a site that has a public form that is filled out by unknown people.

I want to make sure my database and information is as safe as possible from attacks.

So I've got my form data in the post array. I need to check it to make it sure it is valid.

I've got most of that down.

But then what?

How do I get the information into my database in an efficient but secure way?

You can use pg_escape_string on the date, then enclose it with single quotes.  Something like this:

$sql = "INSERT INTO tab (col1) VALUES (E'" . pg_escape_string($data) . "')";

The "E" says that there's an escaped string following.  You can leave it out and it'll generally work, but newer versions of postgres will generate a warning.

For data that should be a specific data type (such as an integer), you can filter the string so it only contains digits, for example.

[code=php:0]$sql = "INSERT INTO tab (col1) VALUES (E'" . pg_escape_string($data) . "')";

Thanks.

So would I repeat this line for each column? I've got about 30 columns.

Or could I do a loop on something like:

[code=php:0]$sql = "INSERT INTO tab ($key) VALUES (E'" . pg_escape_string($data) . "')";

Columns get added all with one statement.  For example:

$sql = "INSERT INTO tab (col1, col2, col3) VALUES (E'" . pg_escape_string($col1_data) . "', E'" . pg_escape_string($col2_data) . "', E'" . pg_escape_string($col3_data) . "')";

If you need to add multiple rows, then you should use a loop for that.  Just not for the columns (at least not normally)

pg_insert()?  I didn't know that existed :)

Judging by the comment in the example in the php docs, it's injection safe.  But the function is also labelled as experimental :)

Anyway if it IS telling the truth and it is safe, then you definitely must NOT call pg_escape_string() yourself, as otherwise you'll get your strings escaped twice.  That's a real hassle when that happens.

Yeah I removed the pg_escape_string after I checked my data

I've been testing pg_insert and pg_update and both have been working so far.

Still need to build in my verification and some other security stuff but basically taking running the two on $_POST works(key names need to match column names)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.