Geocities help

Greaser9780

I currently am running my site off of geocities. Recently I started having alot of problems: I save my php or HTML work and it sends me to a blank screen. When I try to view my site it brings up a blank screen. When I try to go to the admin panel in my forum it says it can't find the page.  It seems to me that is is not allowing some of my programs to work correctly. Sometimes I have no problem at all. Then 5 minutes from now I can't actually see any of my pages or run php. Has anybody else had this problem? Does anybody know how to fix it?  I'm guessing it's prob just a geocities problem. I sent them a support e-mail and am getting no reply from them.  Please help.

if it works on and off then it definitely seems like a server host problem.  Isn't there a contact number that you can call?  They should be able to find a better solution to your problem then here.  Specially if these problems are just intermittent.

Seeing as though Geocities is a free hosting company they do not actually offer much technical support if any on their hosting or free services..  Now the fact that you are able to run php on Geocities at all is surprising... 

Personally I'd find a new host, preferrably one that's not free and get yourself a .com..  Much less errors except for those in your own coding...

The problem with Geocities is that their servers are all co-located.. which basically means a shit ton of people are on their servers instead of having just one.. now yes this is true with Regular Hosts too.. but here is the difference..

Geocities has say 2 servers and each server is on the same ISDN connection (Geocities really isnt on a great connection like a real host should be).. So say each server has 12,000 sites on it because by nature a geocities page generally isnt going to have more than like 4-6 pages on it.. people just dont spend the time to do a nice site when hosting on geocities cause its geocities...

So 12,000 people are trying to view their site at the exact same time on a puny ISDN connection..  At least 2000 of those people are going to get a cannot load page error..  and 3000 at least are going to have errors with their scripting if any special scripting was used because of the way Geocities servers are put together.. 

Final Thought:
  Though you may be just learning php and mysql it is in my direct kindness I offer you my next statements.  Geocities is a host for those who are toying around with HTML.  It is definately not a host that a seasons web developer should be using, nor someone who would like to learn or just learn more about a dynamic language such as PHP.  In your quest for knowledge. if you remember only one thing I ever say to you make sure it is this next statement.  Geocities is the devil.  To get a truely flawless execution of your pages you would be better of paying for a domain or at the very least finding someone who has a domain and a lot of space to allocate say 10MB to you.  Peace Love and Haribo Frogs to everybody...  Take care of yourself and each other.

then find somewhere else besides geocities. i couldn't have said it better: geocities is the devil.  if you are willing to pay for hosting, you can find hella better elsewhere. even our sister site www.webhostfreaks.com offers hosting starting at like 8 bucks a month if i remember correctly. personally i use www.site5.com but i'm not trying to push other hosting plans on you. just trying to steer you away from geocities :)

p.s.- this thread has turned into misc. forum material, so it's being moved.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.