very strange

Lamez

32-bit integers have limited range. You can point to exactly 2^32 different timestamps. When you go too far into the future or the past you're fucked.

A signed integer, 2147483647 will be the W2K38 bug. Lets leave the problem for our children to deal with. ;)

32-bit integers have limited range. You can point to exactly 2^32 different timestamps. When you go too far into the future or the past you're fucked.

A signed integer, 2147483647 will be the W2K38 bug. Lets leave the problem for our children to deal with. ;)

Yes, but what happens when you represent the time as the number of seconds after after the Unix epoch using a signed integer and then want to represent '69? That is the problem with representing '69. Like you cannot exceed the upper bound, you also cannot go below the lower bound.

@Lamez, a longint is an int in range, is the same. As I was bored, I spent the night writing the epoch that should be!

function zeroday_time($args=false) { 
    if ($args==true){$case = $args;} else {$case = date('d/m/Y');}
    $map = array(31,28,31,30,31,30,31,31,30,31,30,31);
    $cur = explode('/', $case);
$days = $cur[0]*24*60*60;
$months = $cur[1]*($map[$cur[1]-1])*24*60*60;
$years = $cur[2]*365*24*60*60;
$result = (float)$days + $months + $years;
return (float)$result;
}

$epoch = zeroday_time(); //62129203200
$date = zeroday_time('31/12/1969'); 
$diff = abs(floor(($date-$epoch)/365/24/60/60)); //Over 40 years!?

echo "It has been $date (~{$diff}) years since December 31, 1969";

Surprised I got it right, calculates the offset in seconds based on January 1, 0000. Includes using doubles (+-1.79769e+308? signed, opposed to +-2147483647 in int). Screw limits, this (theoretically) will bug out when the sun explodes.

$today = new DateTime('today');
$timeDiff = $today->diff(new DateTime('1969-12-31'));
echo "It has been $timeDiff->y years, and $timeDiff->d days since December 31st, 1969";

$today = new DateTime('today');
$timeDiff = $today->diff(new DateTime('0001-1-1'));
echo "It has been $timeDiff->y years, and $timeDiff->d days since January 1st, 0001";

It has been 9 years, and 15 days since January 1st, 0001

I've been alive since a grand holy event!

Your code relies too much on the said bugs, my epoch was to overcome that.

And all along here I thought you just wanted to know how much time passed between now and December 31st, 1969.  :shy:

Yeah time, you can assume it's not too hard to calculate the difference, I mean it's 2010 - 40, but what I meant was to convert a timestamp to before epoch, in a fashion like the unix time stamp could not!

Btw, where is your massive collection of emoticons? You (and the other gurus) seem to use them alot, is it in their arsenal?  :-\

Btw, where is your massive collection of emoticons? You (and the other gurus) seem to use them alot, is it in their arsenal?  :-\

Oh, to have access, you need to enter a secret password in the form of a query string for that -or-, you can simply hit the [more] link found beneath the initial emoticons listed in the preview section.  ;)

Oh, to have access, you need to enter a secret password in the form of a query string for that -or-, you can simply hit the [more] link found beneath the initial emoticons listed in the preview section.  ;)

Alternatively, you can unlock them using the secret decoder ring Guru's receive in the mail.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.