Yii Framework Anyone?

Liquid Fire

Well I am stopping the development of my PHP Framework as I think I have learned everything I wanted to from it and I really don't have the time to continue and maintain the development of it.  So I am looking into a framework I want to focus all my attention to (I also need to evaluate framework for work).  Yii is one that has come up that looks pretty good.  It seems to have pretty good features, good performance, and for being around only 14 months (when the first official released happened back in Dec of 2008) is has a pretty good user base.  Does anyone have any experience using this framework?

I am probably going to be testing a few frameworks this weekend creating a simple blog and see how good development is with each of them along with performance tests.  The frameworks I think I will be testing are CakePHP, Symfony, and Yii, anyone think I should be testing any others.

I am probably going to be testing a few frameworks this weekend creating a simple blog and see how good development is with each of them along with performance tests.  The frameworks I think I will be testing are CakePHP, Symfony, and Yii, anyone think I should be testing any others.

Depends on what you want to use a framework for really.  Maybe a comparison chart will help you to decide which one you want to test like the one that can be found on: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_application_frameworks

As far as the Zend framework goes, the one thing I don't like about it is that it is just way to big.  Sure it has a lot of features but personally I don't think I would hardly need a lot of them.  It also has other issues too including a steep learning curve from what I here.  I might also try building a blog with Zend for testing but it is not high on my list of things to look at.

As far as what I want the framework for.  I basically just want a solid foundation in which I can build website/web applications off of.  One important things for me (not sure how important it is for my company) is performance.  From what I have heard, Yii has pretty efficient code compared to frameworks like Zend or Symfony (which I here is a kind of slow framework as far as performance).  You can have all the features in the world but if you are not efficient then it does not matter much to me.  I am just trying to find a framework with a good balance of efficiency and performance and something that does not seem like it is going to see like it is going to die off in the next year (of course no one can truly predict the future)..

I found the Zend Framework had a much shallow learning curve than I was previously lead to believe and the huge library of components does come in useful rather than having to brew your own solution for common tasks. You also don't really have to use the Framework side of things, you could use a different framework (or non-framework) and just load Zend chunk if you find them useful. 

Another framework that you might not have looked at is Kohana, it's a small framework ("lightweight") that often requires you to put your thinking hat on and get writing code (c.f. using a ZF component) but covers some core aspects common in web apps and allows you to get moving quickly.

• 4 weeks later...

My favorite is Yii mainly because it's truly completely OO. Its architecture and design makes far more sense than CIs especially its database access and AR implementation. It is not as full featured as Zend but it integrates very nicely with it. I would usually install both and import the Zend components that I nee such as the web services.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.