foreach limitation?

brane

Hi,
  I am a bit new to php and have only written a few programs with it.  The current one I am working on will find all the permutations of a string and match them against a word list in sql , so I do not feel guilty cheating on the jumble games in the newspaper.  I have been able to find the permutations of up to six letter strings by doing:

foreach($array as $a )
  foreach($array as $b )
    foreach($array as $c )
      foreach($array as $d )
        foreach($array as $e )
          foreach($array as $f )
            $end_arr[]= $a. $b. $c. $d. $e. $f. ;

My problem is that as soon as i add another line for the seventh character in the array to be handled as $g the program will not work.  Is there a limitation as to how many nested foreach functions you can use? I am using PHP 5.0.4 on a 64 bit version of Suse 10.  Also when the program goes to compile it does not show the error and line number if it fails.  Is there a line I need to edit in the ini to turn on the debugging feature?  This feature used to help me out a lot in PHP 4 but i have since upgraded.  Also if anyone knows a better way to find the permutations of a string any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance
:)

What do you mean "the program will not work?"  What is in the array "$array"?

If I understand what you correctly, you are attempting to get all the combinations of the characters in the array. For a word of 7 characters, that over 800,000 "words" and you're probably running out of time or memory or both.

Ken

I mean that the program will read the string, split the characters into the $array,  find the size of the array, echo the size of the array, depending on the size of the array it will also echo which case it will execute as i am using a switch to diffferentiate between 5 6 and 7 letter strings, but after that for a seven letter string it will not do anything else.  It works for 5 and six letters when it prints the ending array with a line break.  I wouldn't think that the results would take up a gig of ram, but again I am pretty much a noob.  Thanks for your input :)

sorry i forgot to mention that each output will also be 7 characters long so I think that it should return 5040 results.

[quote]so I think that it should return 5040 results.[/quote]
Your math is a little off. 5040 is 7! (factorial 7 or 7 * 6 * 5 * 4 * 3 * 2 * 1). That will only happen if you use all seven characters for one position in the word, 6 for another, and so on until there is only one left.  The way you are attempting it, you are using all seven characters in each position. so it's 7 ^ 7 or 823,543 combinations.

I would rethink your algorithm.

Ken

try
[code]<?php
function perm($arr, $stub='') {
    global $perms;
    if (count($arr)==2) {
        $perms[] = $stub . $arr[0] . $arr[1];
        $perms[] = $stub . $arr[1] . $arr[0];
    }
    else {       
        foreach ($arr as $c) {
            $b = $arr;
            unset ($b[array_search($c, $b)]);
            perm(array_values($b), $stub.$c);
        }       
    }
}

$perms = array();

$array = array('a','b','c','d','e','f','g');
perm ($array);

// view results

echo '<pre>', print_r($perms, true), '</pre>';
?>[/code]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.