My Snooker Site (School Project)

DarrenReeder

Hey, im just making this lil site for a school project...i started of by downloading a CSS template (just for a quick start because ive not been working in school for past few months :/ ) and ive coded everything with PHP and Mysql (and html i spose) - So far ive made regsiter,login and i started on the members section and so far i for the updates page (admins use a form to enter update) and i got the start of the profile page...

im trying to make it like a snooker version of FAcebook were snooker players just sign up to and can post blogs and ARticles about snooker (I.E. tutorials on snooker / Views on current professional snooker e.t.c.) although at the moment on the members section i have onli got the updates page and a bit of the profile page..

Any suggestions from anyone to help me out before i get too in depth and cant change anything...ThankS!

snookeralive.netii.net

thanks again everyone...all comments appriciated

- Drop the Times New Roman font you should always use sans-serif and keep serif only for headings (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serif)

- Your website is about snooker but only partially through it's header. You can do much more:

Look for websites that provide (and allow you to use them in your website) RSS feeds for snooker news on upcoming- and passed official games

Instead of explaining what your website is about show content that intrests them by for example using the above tip (they will register automatically)

Once they like it allow them to share it with friends which in turn increases traffic (you know that little thing you see on blogs that says: "share this")

After your explanation in the news section the About us page seems redundant

The images have been poorly cut out (try some photoshop tutorials like http://www.photoshopcafe.com/tutorials/cutout/cutout.htm)

* Your login form poorly handles errors (I get a white page with red text)

* I can provide invalid data to the register form (and also handles error handling poorly)

* Invalid HTML

Your website contains no content that inspires me to return to your website. What if I were new to snooker, what would you want to tell me (rules, *famous* players, ..)? What if I were a veteran snooker player, what would you want to tell me then? Gather content that will inspire people to return to your website as much as they can and you soon may be holding a serious market share and millions of visitors :) Just providing an online (printable) version would be sufficient for some players to visit your website. And by printable I mean a print CSS (http://www.alistapart.com/articles/goingtoprint/)

In today's age we also don't create web 1.0 websites anymore and your website should be more social (web 2.0). Don't worry if you don't understand what that Web1.0 & 2.0 stuff is. Allow users to comment (for example list passed official games and allow users to comment on them)

I like the design but as you admitted it isn't yours. The points marked with * I consider as extremely important and should be addressed ASAP.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.