XP to Windows 7

The Little Guy

You haven't upgraded to Windows 7 unless the end result is that the operating system you're running is Windows 7.

People who install linux for the first time usually boast about others to install it too, Hehe.

Anyway, Microsoft Virtual PC is free and you can VM up an XP install if there are programs you need to run that can't on 7. I'm not sure if you could somehow import your files and registry to it, but it's a recommended (and simple) option if it is needed.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You haven't upgraded to Windows 7 unless the end result is that the operating system you're running is Windows 7.

People who install linux for the first time usually boast about others to install it too, Hehe.

Anyway, Microsoft Virtual PC is free and you can VM up an XP install if there are programs you need to run that can't on 7. I'm not sure if you could somehow import your files and registry to it, but it's a recommended (and simple) option if it is needed.

Actually I have been running Linux for about five years now. I just have more a reason to encourage others to do so. See:

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,285308.0.html

Actually I have been running Linux for about five years now. I just have more a reason to encourage others to do so. See:

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,285308.0.html

If you want to sit here and explain someone to buy tofu, instead of beef. Go ahead. It's notgoing to get anywhere.

But in support of your answer, you can run most Windows programs under Linux, I've ran CS2 under WINE before flawlessly. But it just makes no sense to suggest another OS. Installing 7 or linux will be new to his software, so it gets nowhere.

If you want to sit here and explain someone to buy tofu, instead of beef. Go ahead. It's notgoing to get anywhere.

But in support of your answer, you can run most Windows programs under Linux, I've ran CS2 under WINE before flawlessly. But it just makes no sense to suggest another OS. Installing 7 or linux will be new to his software, so it gets nowhere.

1. Flawlessly? I'm not sure how WINE works, but I'd imagine it has some penalty to run it, meaning that using WINE over MS would result in a lower frame rate.

2. CS2 is a highly supported game. Try a less supported game.

3. Probably 99.9% of the CS2 community wouldn't know how to get WINE (Or a Linux OS for that matter) to work.

1. Flawlessly? I'm not sure how WINE works, but I'd imagine it has some penalty to run it, meaning that using WINE over MS would result in a lower frame rate.

3. Probably 99.9% of the CS2 community wouldn't know how to get WINE (Or a Linux OS for that matter) to work.

Wow, someone's a little nerd there.  :tease-03:

"but I can no longer get it because it is out dated (CS2), and I don't have the money to upgrade to the new CS4."

I was referring to the OP's original statement, Adobe Photoshop CS2. (In the era of when I used it on WINE.)

CS is not a demanding game by any means, but this is getting off topic.

Wow, someone's a little nerd there.  :tease-03:

"but I can no longer get it because it is out dated (CS2), and I don't have the money to upgrade to the new CS4."

I was referring to the OP's original statement, Adobe Photoshop CS2. (In the era of when I used it on WINE.)

CS is not a demanding game by any means, but this is getting off topic.

[ot]

Nerd? We are talking on a web development forum, A WEB DEVELOPMENT FORUM, or much less, a forum. All of us are automatically nerds. We are also talking about upgrading OSs. UPGRADING OSs!

Wine is a api layer for linux.

Also, I get a higher frame rate running WoW with Wine, then I do running it flat on windows. Go figure.

-A Proud Nerd.

[/ot]

WINE is a Windows API extraction layer. "WINE Is Not an Emulator" ... Yet another GNU Recursive name!

Maybe I should have used the word 'geek', Hadn't seen anyone talk about CS for so long.

[ot]EDIT: How can you run WoW faster? Linux supports X11 not Direct X. Emulating a piped graphics system in a piped environment = slow. Windows is the only true gaming OS that can go further. WineX should fix part of it, but it's of cost. [/ot]

WINE is a Windows API extraction layer. "WINE Is Not an Emulator" ... Yet another GNU Recursive name!

Maybe I should have used the word 'geek', Hadn't seen anyone talk about CS for so long.

[ot]EDIT: How can you run WoW faster? Linux supports X11 not Direct X. Emulating a piped graphics system in a piped environment = slow. Windows is the only true gaming OS that can go further. WineX should fix part of it, but it's of cost. [/ot]

I am not completely sure. I know I run around ~60 FPS in 7, and ~80 in Linux. Maybe I am running less background programs? I really have no idea, but that is what was being produced when I had it installed. Also, x11 is that like OpenGL? I was using OpenGL.

I am not completely sure. I know I run around ~60 FPS in 7, and ~80 in Linux. Maybe I am running less background programs? I really have no idea, but that is what was being produced when I had it installed. Also, x11 is that like OpenGL? I was using OpenGL.

XP is faster than 7 for games by the way. Depends on your graphics settings, WINE emulates the hardware abstraction API and thus the precision of the program is off, the Framerate can't be fully depended on.

OpenGL is the lucky part, Direct X is SLOW on X11 because it has to pipe the graphics. OpenGL has native support on Linux so it's lucky. This mainly could be contributed to WoW being developed for Mac as well, Mac can only run OpenGL opposed to DX.

I see, thanks for clearing that up for me :). You truly out nerd me. I hope to boast up some nerdy-ness (?) later on today. I am going to try attempt 2^3 on creating a proxy server with a frontend login html form, and backend mysql using the most simplest way as possible. Did that make sense, it looks correct. I am going to bed. Sorry to the creator of this thread for all the offtopic-ness (?).

So far what I have noticed, is it is a tad slower (graphics cards help)...

I had a 256MB graphics card, in on my XP and it ran fine with the best visual settings. I then upgraded to Windows 7 and that graphics card takes some time to load everything. When I upgraded my graphics card to a larger 1GB card, it ran as smooth as XP with the best visual effects. I hope you understand that reasoning it may be a little confusing to grasp the relationships :)

My system:

- 2GHz

- 4GB RAM (2.75 usable)

- 1GB Graphics card

- 160GB Hard drive

- 550W Power supply

- Motherboard unknown

A 256MB card is bare minimum, well, your architecture is old so I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't lag on this newer operating system. Aero is pointless and can be turned of, so can the new 'taskbar shell', as can themes all together.

Your ram, what speed is it? If it's old (533/477 etc) then it may contribute to the bandwidth of your motherboard all together.

My PC seams to run well with Windows 7 Pro, had a few access rights problems but that was easy to fix,  I haven't moved to a trible boot yet, will post some results comparing the systems, (I'll need to get a copy of XP Pro (64 bit) to make it fair), and i guess I could use a Live CD, I guess I'll have to make up some tests :shrug:

System Spec

OS Name: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional

System Type: x64-based PC

Processor: Intel® Core i7 CPU 950  @ 3.07GHz, 3068 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version: "6.1.7600.16385"

Installed Physical Memory (RAM): 12.0 GB

In a few years Sandy Bridge will come out. Hold your horses.

Yes, but right now isn't in a few years is it?

You know Windows did complain about the memory running low and switched from Aero to basic.. funny thing is i had 6Gb or memory left and CPU was only at 15%, I guess I'll double check my drivers etc

Yeah, I'd check it. I'm running on 8 and I haven't had a problem with Aero at all. What graphics cards do you have for it?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.