XP to Windows 7

The Little Guy

I want to upgrade my Windows XP computer to Windows 7, but I have software and files on the computer that I don't want to loose (mainly the software). The main software that I have is my Adobe stuff, but I can no longer get it because it is out dated (CS2), and I don't have the money to upgrade to the new CS4. And I can't find links to download re-download the CS2 software.

Any who, what would the best way to upgrade without losing software and files?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main software that I have is my Adobe stuff, but I can no longer get it because it is out dated (CS2), and I don't have the money to upgrade to the new CS4. And I can't find links to download re-download the CS2 software.

That makes little sense considering CS2 comes on dvd.

The main software that I have is my Adobe stuff, but I can no longer get it because it is out dated (CS2), and I don't have the money to upgrade to the new CS4. And I can't find links to download re-download the CS2 software.

That makes little sense considering CS2 comes on dvd.

I don't have the DVD

Well, I just bought the W7 upgrade, and it is downloading now.

I did find the install files for Photoshop CS2 on my comp so I backed them up!

I cant find the CS3 files for flash though :( I think I deleted them..

If I recall I tried CS2 on W7 RC1 and it worked fine, I'm sure there will be compatibility patches available for download in case it does not work.

Just remember, W7 will have problems running anything written in .Net 1.1/2.0, and many other older era softwares that rely on such things, as it is 8 years newer.

[...]

Although you are stating something obvious, Adobe does provide the fully functioning installer in trial form,with the ability to place your previously bought key:

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?promoid=EBYEU&product=photoshop&loc=en

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?promoid=EBYEX&loc=en&product=flash

Yes. You put the disc in, and select the Upgrade option. It's meant to be seamless

There is no direct upgrade path from XP to Win7 as far as I know. You would have to upgrade to Vista and then to Win7.

I believe it is available for both x86/64 systems to be upgraded directly from XP, as noted here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7

Albeit, keeping (very possibly) deprecated software in the process.

Right. From that article:

To upgrade your PC from Windows XP to Windows 7, you'll need to select the Custom option during Windows 7 installation. A custom installation doesn't preserve your programs, files, or settings. It's sometimes called a "clean" installation for that reason.

Right. From that article:

To upgrade your PC from Windows XP to Windows 7, you'll need to select the Custom option during Windows 7 installation. A custom installation doesn't preserve your programs, files, or settings. It's sometimes called a "clean" installation for that reason.

Ah, didn't spot that. Makes sense being 8 years older and containing a complete overhaul in the GUI, shell/Networking (Homegroup)

Funny, due to incompatiability (OMG TYPO) issues, I've went from XP to Vista. Then I went from Vista to Vista.

Have you had any problems when upgrading? Its awful. All your registeries are screwed up because they are made for XP, not Vista. All drivers must be re-installed due to it being Vista instead of XP, and in which case you have to delete all the old drivers, but some old ones wouldn't get deleted due to mis-registry problems and many other problems persisted.

XP to Vista through upgrade isn't worth a damn. Is XP to 7 any better?

By the way, when you installed your Windows 7, did you get a CD-Key? I have Ultimate and Professional DVD but it didn't come with a cd key.

http://aboutonlinetips.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/product-key.png

And don't you mean DVD-key?  :P .. If you truly didn't (may be inside package, sticker on back, sticker on case, or separate in manual) then call up microsoft and give  them the serial number on the package, and they should give you a key after the proof you purchased it and it will activate as normally intended.

By the way, when you installed your Windows 7, did you get a CD-Key? I have Ultimate and Professional DVD but it didn't come with a cd key.

http://aboutonlinetips.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/product-key.png

And don't you mean DVD-key?  :P .. If you truly didn't (may be inside package, sticker on back, sticker on case, or separate in manual) then call up microsoft and give  them the serial number on the package, and they should give you a key after the proof you purchased it and it will activate as normally intended.

I got a 2-cd package closed saying it contains Windows 7 but after reading the cover, it says you need an XP or Vista CD-Key to use it. So whats that about? Or does Windows 7 share keys?

I got a 2-cd package closed saying it contains Windows 7 but after reading the cover, it says you need an XP or Vista CD-Key to use it. So whats that about? Or does Windows 7 share keys?

Sounds like a reputable store you bought it from!.. (?)

Windows 7 has their own keys as the same as the RC. Did you buy the 'upgrade' version ?  Because it may use your old serial from say, Vista, and activate it based on that. It should not say you need an XP/Vista serial to activate 7..

Everything that was on my XP machine, was saved to "C:\windows.old" software that required registry files didn't work 100%.

I bought the upgrade for $119 at store.microsoft.com and I chose to download an iso and save it to a DVD. They then emailed me my CD-Key, and I used that for installation.

If you get an email, make sure you print the key, write it down, or have a backup computer to read it from ;) you can't look at your email on the same computer when inserting the key.

Just install Linux.

How do you upgrade XP to Win7 by installing Linux?

Simple.

Step 1: Backup stuff.

Step 2: Download preferred distro ISO and burn to a CD

Step 3: Format and install using the CD

Step 4: Restore backup

Step 5: Enjoy Linux.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.