XP to Windows 7

The Little Guy

Yes, but right now isn't in a few years is it?

I heard early 2011,

Yeah, I'd check it. I'm running on 8 and I haven't had a problem with Aero at all. What graphics cards do you have for it?

Only a ATI Radeon 5750 (I'm not really a gamer)

Details-

Name ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

Adapter Type ATI display adapter (0x68B8), ATI Technologies Inc. compatible

Adapter Description ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

Adapter RAM 1.00 GB (1,073,741,824 bytes)

Installed Drivers atiumd64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll

Driver Version 8.681.0.0

INF File oem13.inf (ati2mtag_Evergreen section)

Color Table Entries 4294967296

Resolution 1680 x 1050 x 60 hertz

Bits/Pixel 32

Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\atikmdag.sys (8.1.1.984, 5.89 MB (6,174,720 bytes), 22/01/2010 12:20)

I'll check when i get home (I dislike working on my PC remotely)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You would think so..

Could be because i connected remotely.. from a PC with a poop display.. who knows :shrug:

I'll check when I get home.

"Could be because i connected remotely.."

You were using VNC? If so, then your graphics card will be the equivalent of an ATI Rage Pro.

Well that depends on the which VNC client I was using..!

I have reset to Aero and everything is well. when I am next in the office i'll test again..(its no biggie)

I'm not sure you understand the structure of a VNC connection. If your graphics card has an 32GiB/s throughput via PCI-e 16, is it able to send that amount over the internet? It can't.

Most VNC clients turn off Aero, as they can only accept a low quality compressed frame of your desktop, as that is all that can be physically sent.. if that's what you're referring to.

I'm not sure you understand the structure of a VNC connection. If your graphics card has an 32GiB/s throughput via PCI-e 16, is it able to send that amount over the internet? It can't.

Lets just say i know my fair share about how VNC's work, and I take offence to that statement as thats verrrrry basic computer studies stuff, and i feel your attempting to insult my intelligence  ;)

Most VNC clients turn off Aero,

Really well bend me over and call me carol.. ::)

neither of these where the cause of the issule at hand, after reviewing my logs it seams that my work PC tried to make a connection to my Home PC that it well didn't agree with and my FW went nuts, it seams to be an thunder in a tea pot, too many things happened at once!

Really well bend me over and call me carol.. ::)

Be careful what you wish for :P

Was just about to say. Rofl.

I wasn't sure if you knew, to tell you the truth I was going wtf trying to explain it, I knew you had to've known.

• 1 month later...

no offense help is help but i'm pretty sure upgrading windows xp to windows 7 doesn't look or sound like a PHP thing ..

that's it just wanted to put my two cents in since i haven't been around forever.

That's precisely why we have this misc board.

I wouldn't really know why to go from xp to win7. I mean, 7 looks fine, but all those stupid gadgets/widgets/whateveritscalled, it's just going to slow things down. I also like the more 'minimalistic' look of xp. Though ofcourse you'll be able to set that in win7 too. If you didn't have to backup all your files and install everything again after upgrading, perhaps I'd have done it. Or at least I would have; I have a crack here and I'm not sure whether it still works, because a few months ago there was some news about microsoft doing something that cracks wouldn't be able to be installed or something, don't know w-how that works. But I'm never going to buy an OS so expensive! Glad enough with xp :)

But I'm never going to buy an OS so expensive! Glad enough with xp

So your going to be stuck in 2001 forever? That's right, next year xp will be ten years old. 10 years is a LONG time in computing.

Ten years already? Yet I don't see why I'd go to win7. There aren't that many useful functions that are added, I think. I'm not cinvinced anyhow. WHen my pc is broken, I'll get one with win7 :)

Right. From that article:

To upgrade your PC from Windows XP to Windows 7, you'll need to select the Custom option during Windows 7 installation. A custom installation doesn't preserve your programs, files, or settings. It's sometimes called a "clean" installation for that reason.

lmao

I wouldn't really know why to go from xp to win7. I mean, 7 looks fine, but all those stupid gadgets/widgets/whateveritscalled, it's just going to slow things down.

I've personally tested installing windows 7 on a machine that was running windows XP. This machine was equipped with half of the minimum "required" RAM (1GB) to run Windows 7, 512MB. It ran fine, in fact I would have to say that it ran smoother than windows XP did on the very same machine. More functionality, better usability and aesthetics, I'd say there are many reasons to upgrade.

I've personally tested installing windows 7 on a machine that was running windows XP. This machine was equipped with half of the minimum "required" RAM (1GB) to run Windows 7, 512MB. It ran fine, in fact I would have to say that it ran smoother than windows XP did on the very same machine. More functionality, better usability and aesthetics, I'd say there are many reasons to upgrade.

Now that it's actually out, I'll end up downloading a W7 distro if my HD ever fragmented to hell again. I mean some things can't run (especially some .net 1.0/2.2 related programs) on it, but I don't use Windows, so for general gaming it should be better than XP. I'm glad DX10.1 has an actually decent background OS finally.

The RC2 (7077 I believe I had) wasn't good at all, there were many GUI errors on my laptop's integrated card, which isn't all that bad. Hope that's all fixed.

I wouldn't really know why to go from xp to win7. I mean, 7 looks fine, but all those stupid gadgets/widgets/whateveritscalled, it's just going to slow things down.

The 'new' features they propose and perhaps the little improvement doesn't fight up against the fact that you have to do a clean install and there's a risk that some of your drivers might not work anymore. I've had a lot of trouble with my drivers, so for me it's not really convincing enough... My dad has W7 though. I'm sure he isn't using all the capabilities of it, but when I see it it looks like XP with another jacket. And realy, some things are hard to find! My dad disabled the LAN-connection once on his pc, and he wanted to reistablish the connection but it couldn't find the netwerk even though the cable was in the slot and the light was on. I went through dozens of menus to eventually find that I couldn't reistablish it.. Untill he told me he had uncliked it in some way that made me think he just disabled the driver, which was indeed the case. But for people that aren't that good with computers and they disable it, what do they have to do? I know it's a hell of a difficult job to make all the things work perfectly and create a structured infrastructre, but still...

But for people that aren't that good with computers and they disable it, what do they have to do? I know it's a hell of a difficult job to make all the things work perfectly and create a structured infrastructre, but still...

All they have to do is try and stop being dumb and clicking on random shit that pops up?

But the same can be said for XP, they can easily disable network drivers through My Network places etc, what is the difference? If they just go and randomly click on stuff that they do not know what it does, well they deserve to be without Internet etc. If anyone calls me for stupid stuff like that (Family members) I tend to make them wait a few days before I tell them the answer to teach them NOT to click on random stuff. If they were being intuitive and trying to learn about computers, I do not help them and make them help themselves, as that is the only real way to learn, is trying and fixing it yourself.

As far as XP to 7, Win 7 is actually pretty nice, I like it much better then XP. It may be a little slower at times, given that you need a bit more processing power / ram, but it runs pretty smooth for the most part. As for me, I will stick to by *Ubuntu OS, it treats me with kindness and no expenses. :)

For Win7, the design decision was to hide away a bunch of stuff from the illiterate so they couldn't mess things up.  It's a "Configure it via a nearly idiot proof wizard, then leave it alone" design.  It's not without its flaws (as the internet connection anecdote above demonstrates, and I've actually run into similar problems myself), but, for the most part, that's the kind of computer people want.

Power users will find their way regardless of OS.  For the layperson, this kind of design is a godsend most of the time.  Most people aren't geeks like us.  They don't care how it works, only that it does work, works easily, and is compatible with what they use at work with minimal fuss.

But the same can be said for XP, they can easily disable network drivers through My Network places etc, what is the difference? If they just go and randomly click on stuff that they do not know what it does, well they deserve to be without Internet etc. If anyone calls me for stupid stuff like that (Family members) I tend to make them wait a few days before I tell them the answer to teach them NOT to click on random stuff. If they were being intuitive and trying to learn about computers, I do not help them and make them help themselves, as that is the only real way to learn, is trying and fixing it yourself.

Or even simpler, just create a user profile that does not have admin privileges. Then they cannot change any system settings or install stuff that may damage the system.

Or even simpler, just create a user profile that does not have admin privileges. Then they cannot change any system settings or install stuff that may damage the system.

Something fishy there too;

On our computer downstairs we have Vista. My dad (accidentaly) installed Safari and Bonjour when the apple update thingy popped up. Since we don't use it,I wanted to uninstall it. But I couldn't! Via the software panel I couldn't delete it! I had to contact 'the administrator'. There was only one account on the thing. Did some researching on the net on how to use cmd to set the priveleges, went through loads of other menus to change the priveleges, but it simply didn't work. Any other program would get uninstalled though. So I had to install ccleaner to uninstall other programs! If that isn't curious...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.