newb css question

newb

Simplistically, by learning CSS.  Avoid absolute and relative positionning like the plague - all they do is make life more complex than needed, and fill up your code with opportunities for the pages to 'break' in other browsers.

ok avoid absolute and relative positioning, got it. so what kind of posintiong do i use? and what do u mean learn css? that not helping,  ok, u have designed webpage in Illustrator or Photoshop, but how do u make css/xhtml webpage of it? If I use tables it is easy - just slice it in Photohop or Imageready and you get almost finished website. it generates the code and stuf for you.

You need to slice up your layout in photoshop/imageready first. Note when you slice make sure the slices you want are the ones being exported, and not the ones that PS/IR put in automatically when you slice. And only export the images. Dont export the html and the images, as the html/css that PS/I generate is not good. 

To position in CSS without absolute and relative positioning use float and clear. Floats are the best and easiest way to position elements on your webpage. Most CSS layouts are done with floats. You use [i]clear: both[/i] to stop elements from going underneath a floated object.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.