Which is best overall system, Joomla, Drupal or Wordpress

edkellett

Hi,

Please let me know what is the best overall CMS. I want one that I can customise fully and can integrate my own mysql and php bits and pieces into. Also, I want to allow a number of different users access the backend with different rights etc...

I am finally ready to make the jump into this so want an objective idea of which is best.

thanks in advance.

Edkellett

Well what's best is a very subjective and potentially biased question.  Reality is in order to say what's best we would need more information about what you're developing and what you're expectations are of what you want the software to do for you.

Wordpress is by far the simplest of those three and relatively flexible. I would start there, try it and see if it meets your needs.  Joomla is "robust" but unfortunately that carries over into it's bulk and unwieldiness. There's a fair learning curve getting joomla looking how you want it to and publishing entries.  I have less experience with Drupal but it's still quite over complicated for smaller tasks. Drupal is more of a php programmers tool while Wordpress and Joomla attempt to be for the average user to varying degrees of success.

I'm not a big wordpress fan but it IS the simplest and that's where I would recommend starting.

It's comparing apples and oranges.  Wordpress is a blog, not a cms.  Joomla is probably the most CMS'ish of the 3.  Drupal is more of a sitebuilding system.  Out of the box it doesn't have a ton of functionality, but when you add in a bunch of core modules it becomes a very capable platform for developing a site. 

I agree 100% with whansen02 that you need to provide a lot more information.  *If* you really know php well, you can make all 3 of these platforms do great things, but the same could be said for numerous other packages, not to mention a few key frameworks.  If you want a blog, Wordpress is fine.  With that said, most of the key people in the PHP community choose to run their blogs on Serendipity, which from an architectural standpoint is a lot cleaner and better built, and comes out of the box with optimizations like support for smarty and it's intrinsic page caching mechanism.

If you're looking for a system as a non programmer, and it really does need to be a CMS, then of the 3, Joomla is the simplest and most functional out of the box. 

Wordpress is a blog, not a cms.

While wordpress is a blog, a blog is essentially a cms. I've seen many complete sites built ontop of wordpress.

I guess it depends on your definitions.  I would agree that the lines can be blurry, but in general CMS's are more general purpose, whereas blogs are tuned mainly for people to self publish.  Of course once you have any sort of modularity, you can make either one look and act like the other.

In comparison to the two CMSs there is no better option but rather a personal preference or skill set. If you are more developer oriented, and do not mind the learning curve of Drupal, then Drupal would be the favourite of the two, if you are more on the art or design side, then Joomla would be the better choice, its not to say that a designer can not choose Drupal or a developer should not use Joomla once again it comes down to a matter of preference. Install both on a test server and see which one suites your needs accurately.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.