Wireless connectivity

samona

Well I actually disagree Lamez. Typically when you start running low on juice, an OS will put you into a power saver mode (which is customizable and easy to override.) One of the options is usually reduce amount of power to your wireless network adapter, thus reducing the range on your network card.

What biz?

Nearly every BIOS chip manufactured for a laptop, does not allow 'extended' BIOS access to even touch the bus frequencies. Dell, IBM, Gateway, Acer and all major brands are infamous for not allowing it. Only Intel speedstep and related can usually be disabled.

Save for some high end notebooks, noting the Dell XPS line atleast allow some control.

Laptops busses are not meant to be touch, a single 100MHz gained can permanently damage the unit, or literally cause battery failure, or worse. It's why it's prevented. (why am I rambling? .. lol)

Nearly every BIOS chip manufactured for a laptop, does not allow 'extended' BIOS access to even touch the bus frequencies. Dell, IBM, Gateway, Acer and all major brands are infamous for not allowing it. Only Intel speedstep and related can usually be disabled.

Save for some high end notebooks, noting the Dell XPS line atleast allow some control.

Laptops busses are not meant to be touch, a single 100MHz gained can permanently damage the unit, or literally cause battery failure, or worse. It's why it's prevented. (why am I rambling? .. lol)

I hope you have something to back that up, because I quote from http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Whats-new-in-managing-power-settings:

Balanced: This plan balances energy consumption and system performance by adapting the computer's processor speed to your activity.

It is the same technology most graphics cards utilize, where they underclock the core to keep it running cooler and consume less power, and when they hit a certain % of usage, they bring the clock speed back up.

I hope you have something to back that up, because I quote from http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Whats-new-in-managing-power-settings:

I already mentioned speedstep separately. The quote I was answering upon said nothing about "Intel laptops" that were compatable with "speedstep". You cannot underclock a processor on baseline laptops (Do you think all are P4/5's?) Intel speedstep is a propriertary processor feature. You should have read up.

EDIT: And you're wrong, undervoltage saves power, not the 'underclocked' bus frequency.

Okay, my mistake oni. I guess by underclocking I meant bring the speed of the cpu down in general, by whatever means, not specifically changing the clock speed. Perhaps I shouldnt have used the word "underclock." AMD also has a similar feature to speedstep (powernow for laptops and cool 'n quiet for the desktop.)

Anyways, it is sort of getting offtopic and I really don't feel like getting into an argument. The point was that the OS will lower the amount of power to certain parts of the laptop when in power save mode thus reducing performance.

WOW! From reading all these posts, I understand that when the battery power is low the OS will reduce the power to specific parts of the computer.  One of these parts would be the wireless NIC which would mean the radio waves would have a shorter range, thus not enough power to compete with other users accessing the same WAP with more power and a wider range.

Am I close?

Yeah, thats the gist of it. You should have some options to turn off/on power saving features on specific parts of your laptop. So you can have a super dim screen, but keep your wireless with full power, etc. Tweak it until you find the optimal solution for you.

Okay, my mistake oni. I guess by underclocking I meant bring the speed of the cpu down in general, by whatever means, not specifically changing the clock speed. Perhaps I shouldnt have used the word "underclock." AMD also has a similar feature to speedstep (powernow for laptops and cool 'n quiet for the desktop.)

Anyways, it is sort of getting offtopic and I really don't feel like getting into an argument. The point was that the OS will lower the amount of power to certain parts of the laptop when in power save mode thus reducing performance.

I believe you meant 'throttling' which is the opposite of the term 'overclocking'.

Throttling is lowering the voltage of the cpu current.

overclocking is the opposite.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.