Changes to PHP from facebook

Adam

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/01/facebook_php_rewrite/

Word is it's some sort of compiler or accelerator rathen than a full rewrite, but still interesting...

This just in. US forces take over a major site engine named PHP, which provides dynamic content to millions of sites. The US government has taken over the completion by a US company known as Facebook to create a fork of an absolute secure and clean solution for major PHP driven websites, eager to make the conversion.

This just in. US forces take over a major site engine named PHP, which provides dynamic content to millions of sites. The US government has taken over the completion by a US company known as Facebook to create a fork of an absolute secure and clean solution for major PHP driven websites, eager to make the conversion.

Ha. Have a read of this then.. http://therumpus.net/2010/01/conversations-about-the-internet-5-anonymous-facebook-employee/?full=yes

Looks interesting from a technical standpoint.  The name sucks, though.

Yeh, trust a facebook developer to create something great and kill it by trying to be cool when he hasn't got the first clue of what cool is.

I think it's ironic that these people develop a 'social network' that connects millions of people all over the world, yet lack completely in any form of social skills...

Looks interesting from a technical standpoint.  The name sucks, though.

Yeh, trust a facebook developer to create something great and kill it by trying to be cool when he hasn't got the first clue of what cool is.

I think it's ironic that these people develop a 'social network' that connects millions of people all over the world, yet lack completely in any form of social skills...

Who said programming wasn't cool? I'd rather crunch regular expressions than go out in an 'invited party' any day!

Looks interesting from a technical standpoint.  The name sucks, though.

Who said programming wasn't cool? I'd rather crunch regular expressions than go out in an 'invited party' any day!

I dunno about that.  A regular expression has a 0% chance of touching my penis.

Looks interesting from a technical standpoint.  The name sucks, though.

I dunno about that.  A regular expression has a 0% chance of touching my penis.

Well said! lol

I dunno about that.  A regular expression has a 0% chance of touching my penis.

<?php
/*
@param int size
@param string object
*/
function do($a, $b) {
    chmod($a, $b);
    touch($a);
}

do($penis, 755); //Maybe 433 in your case.
?>

I dunno about that.  A regular expression has a 0% chance of touching my penis.

<?php
/*
@param int size
@param string object
*/
function do($a, $b) {
    chmod($a, $b);
    touch($a);
}

do($penis, 755); //Maybe 433 in your case.
?>

I rest my case...

P.S.

Where are the regular expressions?

A hell of a lot of people would say programming isn't "cool". You must be going to the wrong parties.

A hell of a lot of people would say programming isn't "cool". You must be going to the wrong parties.

Or maybe he is going to the right parties?

Kudos to Facebook for open sourcing the tool and it obviously suits their needs very well. As for whether this will become widely used outside Facebook, that's really not the point. Chances are, most of PHPFreaks' membership won't be needing a PHP to C++ compiler anytime soon (for anything other than educational value).

Or maybe he is going to the right parties?

I'd guess not if he'd rather spend his evening programming than go to one.

Is there even any kind of GUI lib for PHP? (Yes, I know the point here is not about creating desktop apps, but I'm just wondering)

(FOSS) http://winbinder.org/

For windows there's not even a need for libraries. But I'll just leave the complexity of the code samples there.

include('../../foo.php');
wb_create_window(NULL, PopupWindow, "Hello world! " . "$foobar", 480, 320);  // Create Hwind
wb_main_loop();                                                 // Enter message loop
?> 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.