Mom and Pop Business Website

HolidayResort

Okay... I have put together a website for my mom.

www.whitelakeholidayresort.com

My goal of our website is to get people to "contact us" by calling or submitting the form on the contact page.

NUM 1:

I need to see if I should use a drop down menu for specific units from the home page,

or just let people access that from the "unit photos" page.

NUM 2:

I want to know what people think about me removing the "white lake pictures" link from the menu bar... it doesn't really sell the visitor on renting with us... but the pictures are mostly of our place, so it might.  Tell me what you think.

NUM 3:

Do you think that my "FAQ" page has too much stuff.  We really don't want a million people calling if we can answer their questions in advance.  **We want people to HAVE to call to get prices.

Overall not a bad site, just a few comments

Mixing of Serif/Sans-Serif fonts.

When to use Serif fonts

When the font needs to be small like in a magazine, newspaper, or book. It is said to draw the eye across the page much easier.

When to use Sans-Serif fonts

Most websites use a sans-serif font because it’s generally easier to read these fonts on a screen.

1265615747.png

Serif fonts have “feet”.

Solution:

Choose either Serif or Sans-Serif but do not mix.

I suggest Sans-Serif for its cleaner look.

Menu having no hover effect.

When to use a hover effect

When the element needs emphasize to show an action will occur, or to show positioning.

When not to use a hover effect

When an element is not important, or will have to specific action.

Solution:

Adjust the menu so it has a subtle hover effect, either a slight color change, or an underline.

FAQ - Jquery accordion.

How much will a user read?

In general a page should not scroll more than twice the users screen height.

This is because of the "wall of text" issue.

Solution:

I suggest the jquery accordion as it will make your site look more modern and

will shrink the amount of text visible.

With regards to the Issue of the menu, will you run into probems when you have 25 apartments onsite? will the menu fit on screen?

With regards to removing the pictures.

Why would you do this? it doesn't hurt having them on there.

Regards,

Hailwood

1: Keep it.

2: Keep it.

3: Yes - Make the FAQ an index page and split each of those sections into seperate pages, keep the top part on the main FAQ page though but still allow to jump to the specific answers.

p.s. Another observation - Remove the links from the bottom of the page (they are already at the top).

@off topic: I wanna go :P .

Thanks Hailwood,

I've changed the fonts to the sans-serif... it DOES look better.  Thank you.

I'm checking into the hover effect... I try and figure out how to have an underline to show up.

I'm not real wild about the JQuery (It looks like a lot of work... but I'm going to work on it and let my mom decide which one she likes the best.

@off topic: I wanna go :P .

Dito,

Mind if I join you?

Can save some $$ :P

Actually its the photo's that make me want to go...

Ha ha... I didn't even notice that FaT3oYCG said that on the his reply.

I've changed the Pictures page to allow for less scrolling.

And I'm looking for SEO friendly Jquery.  We are a little place, so I'd like to have search engines catche all the info they can about our place.  I'll let you guys know when I've got a working example for another critique.

You TWO have been very helpful, Thanks again!

Have a look into Jquery UI all its components are SEO friendly and will degrade nicely if javascript is disabled, which is good for those using screen readers ect.

It also has the accordion component I was referring to.

If you have any problems let us know and we will give you a hand.

Regards,

Hailwood

Dito,

Mind if I join you?

Can save some $$ :P

Actually its the photo's that make me want to go...

LOL, maybe when I'm 21 and can drink :), ima keep the infromation for this place in my favy's it has defo interested me, shame the legal drink age in the US is so high :P, I'm from the UK you see :).

okay!  Sorry it took me so long... I was having problems getting the jquery to load on the webhost that i have.

Here is the jquery FAQ page. http://www.whitelakeholidayresort.com/faq3.html

I like that it takes up very little space, and I put the list of questions to the side.  (To help people find their answer faster without having to click through the whole jquery.)

Is there a way to hide my "Click here to view our non-javascript FAQ page" so that it only shows up when a browsers javascript is turned off?

Thanks again!

Alright,  the test page (FAQ3.html) is now the default (FAQ.html) page.

www.whitelakeholidayresort.com/faq.html

I've changed the colors for the jquery accordion, added a mouseover for the outermost accordion, fixed the line spacing issues, and added the <nosript> tag to send non script users to the old FAQ.

I'm really happy with it, hope everyone who looks at our site will find it easy to use.

Thanks again for all your help! (Hailwood and FaT3oYCG)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.