Client Sided PHP Security Tool

Silverado_NL

hi everybody.
while i whas working on a login script for my forum, i stumbled upon a term called packet sniffing.
if you send your password in plain text or unecrypted then somebody could just read it!.
so i thought well then ill use the MD5 or swordfish hashing function to make it safer.
and then to send it over the internet to the database.
but since php is sever sided this is gonna be a problem for me.
i dont know JS or any other client sided programming language.
so here is my question.
is it possible to make a encryption tool with the PHP programming language that will encrypt the password on the client side.
are there php compilers on the internet?
and if there are!
are they any good for using these with encryption methods???

thanks in advance.

Greets Silver

If you want to encrypt the data being sent to and from the server you'll want to use SSL (Secure Socket Layer). Which you can get openSSL for free to be installed on your server. Then to have a secure connection goto https://mysite.com and any requests to and from the server will be encrypted.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.