Can a foreign key reference a unique non-primary key?

proud

Hello everyone, I have 2 tables: [books] with the fields (id, title,author,isbn) and another table called [book issue] with the fields (id, borrower_id, borrow_date, book_isbn)..

Now the field (book_isbn) in the [book issue] table references (isbn) in the books table, which is a unique field but not a primary key.

My questions:

1- Is it correct for a foreign key to reference a unique but non-primary key in another table?

2- Is it okay for the foreign key field to have a different name than the field it references in the other table?

Your help is indeed appreciated..

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. I would avoid using ISBN as a field referencing anything in database. I've been working in book publishing business for some time and have seen my sort of fscked up ISBNs along the way.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.