New to here and new to php/MySQL

jmatulevich

i write very simple MySQL and PHP for our IntraNet... I use joomla, magento, etc for the webpages for the public.

I would like to see how to do things a little more effectively.

EG...

I would take bits and pieces of code that function the way I want from many different posts and tutorials around and place it in my php in order to get it to function. I know that any professional would look at this code and say something like "OMG... why do it that way, when this is far less coding... ??"

So a nice How to on MySQL and PHP5 building Databases and PHP from Scratch...

Thanks

there are a couple tutorials here on the site already, but TRUST ME you're going to learn ALOT better by coming up with a project you want to do.. be it something simple or silly.. get interested.. a tutorial will not keep you interested and give you a bunch of code which will just give you teh answers and will still leave you asking how most of the time...

find a little project or think of a little project.. then when you need to figure out how to do something like.. get the length of a string (strlen) you browse php.net until you find a function that will do it for you.. and many times you will have some trouble finding the function.. in which case that is what forums are for.. helping you find your way :)

either way, welcome aboard!

i have written a couple of nice databases with php frontends... one is a vendor card which keep track of all our vendors with what they sell, locations etc etc... this is managable by our sales staff, I also but a product Spec Form and a Customer requirments  forms... these are very interactive and function quite well... The problem now is I am on Different servers with php 5 and some of the functions that worked before like " Update Set" are not working. I can write to the DB but cant update. If i started this on 5 then i would read and research it to get it working, but seems all the stuff I find online is what made it work in 4.3.....

Thats where I am ... in the 4.3 to 5 void!... lol

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.