Error in my syntax

bullbreed

Hi. php newbie here.

Could someone please tell me the error in this syntax

if ($existcat != ""){
	$queryreg = mysql_query("INSERT INTO articles (`article_section` VALUES '$existcat')");echo mysql_error();
}else{
	if ($existcat = 'None'){
	$queryreg = mysql_query("INSERT INTO articles (`article_section` VALUES '$newcat')");echo mysql_error();
	}
}

Thanks for that. I can now submit the form but it adds 2 rows to the database

What im trying to do is this

I have a news article system on my site and when the admin wants to add an article he can either select a category from a drop down menu or create a new category

Hence

if ($existcat != ""){
	$queryreg = mysql_query("INSERT INTO articles (`article_section`) VALUES ('$existcat')");echo mysql_error();
}else{
	if ($existcat == ""){
	$queryreg = mysql_query("INSERT INTO articles (`article_section`) VALUES ('$newcat')");echo mysql_error();
	}
}

The $existcat variable is a menu form field and has an empty value as default but also echos the column of the database that holds the categories

So what im trying to achieve is someting like;

If the $existcat has no value then they must have selected someting below the empty value so put it in the article_section column

If the $existcat does have no value then check the other form field called $newcat and store that value in the article_section column

Has anyone added a category to a news article section before?

The reason I want a category associated with the articles is so the visitor can easily find the articles they want.

e.g. if it was a golfing website the article section could have hundreds of articles but if they were sorted by category they would be easier to find.

Category = Clubs

Article about clubs no 1

Article about clubs no 2

Article about clubs no 3

Category = Drivers

Article about drivers no 1

Article about drivers no 2

Article about drivers no 3

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.