sql server 2005?

aebstract

Not sure if this is the right area or if there is even a right area on phpfreaks, but there are lots of smart people here and someone may have the answer I am looking for. I am having to do some stuff on the database for a dotnetnuke setup, it's all on a windows based web host (will be switching to linux and normal mysql). I've never done anything with sql server 05 and the host has no application to actually go in and manage the database (such as phpmyadmin for mysql). What can I do? I'm really at a loss here as I have no idea where to start, is there something I can do to access it from outside of the control panel? Basically wanting to transfer all users/posts/etc from the dotnetnuke over to a phpbb system.

Thanks

There is a Sql Server Management application that you can use to administer the database.  You may be able to download that on your local machine, assuming MS makes it available for free.  Another option might be looking for an open source management software.

Once you have it installed on your machine, the next step is to allow non-localhost connections to your database.  If your web host doesn't provide a simple interface (like cpanel) to open up remote connections to the database, you might have to contact their support department.

Another option would be some form of port forwarding.

They have the single worse support I have seen in my entire life. I got hung up on several times, called an idiot and told that if I called to "harass" the support team anymore that the account was going to be canceled. I plan on having the owner switch hosting companies, it's just that I need to get this information extracted out so that I can do the transfer to phpbb somehow, probably through some queries I will have to write up.

Once I get connected in and can see/manage/use my database information, what will I need to do to actually transfer it to a mysql database? Is that possible?

I assume you can write PHP code that hits the database.  If that's the case you can query the information_schema for the tables and columns in this database and therefore don't need a management software.

If I were in your shoes I'd create a PHP script that dumps the database to text files in a lossless fashion.  Then I'd go about writing the code to import these text files into your target database.

I'll tell you now though, database migration is a huge pain in the ass.

I assume you can write PHP code that hits the database.  If that's the case you can query the information_schema for the tables and columns in this database and therefore don't need a management software.

If I were in your shoes I'd create a PHP script that dumps the database to text files in a lossless fashion.  Then I'd go about writing the code to import these text files into your target database.

I'll tell you now though, database migration is a huge pain in the ass.

Thanks for the information, I can forsee it being a huge pain in the ass. It may be my only option though, which if so.. will definitely suck. Thanks again for the information you were able to provide ;)

Full blown Management Studio is available for you to use if you actually own the SQL Server license itself, otherwise you can download Management Studio Express from MSDN which is basically the same thing minus some functionality that may not be important to you as your webhost should be responsible for (maintenance plans, SQLMail, etc.)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.