view all db info

aebstract

I've never worked in microsoft sql, so I am not sure if it is in any way similar to mysql or completely different. I'm also somewhat limited on support and what I have access to. I can run php and have full ftp access. I can probably run .net as well, as the site is running on dotnetnuke and from what I've read that is based off of .net. I have no idea whatsoever how to even look at .net, so I would prefer staying with php.

Is there a way to use the sql server info and view all database information? I hope it is structured somewhat similar to mysql, as in having tables, columns/rows, etc. I don't know what tables I have, don't know anything really. I'm going to have to start working on a huge port out and port in to a new system (which will be mysql) and this is my first step. Any advice/info/tips is awesome. Thanks!

Okay, I'm sort of stuck on actually displaying the information.

<?php

$server = '1';

$link = mssql_connect($server, '2', '3');

if (!$link) {
    die('Something went wrong while connecting to MSSQL');
}

$query = mssql_query("SELECT * FROM information_schema.tables");
while($r=mssql_fetch_array($query))
{

echo mssql_result($query);

}

?>

Blank page, I'm assuming I'm connected as I get no error and this is the method that was used as demonstration in the php manual. So that brings me to actually displaying the information, which I usually would do a while and loop through each row of information in a table, though this is obviously different and I'm not looping through like that. How can I echo out the information so I can see it?

This is array formatted nicely. You just have to view source to see it ;)

I used print_r only as an example. $r is an array, and you can display it however you wish. You can also save results to a file, for future reference.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.