PHP MySQL Multiple Column Dynamic Dropdown

Greetings all,

I am currently in the process of setting up a e-commerce suite on a client

website but as I am a PHP MySQL newbie, I have come accross a few problems. I have a product page which has static information on it. I have a form with

a dropdown box. I want this dropdown box to show data from three different columns in a MySQL database table. These would be, Colour, Size and Price.

I have the database setup and running with Apache, PHP and MySQL all

installed, configured and fully operational.

I am using Dreamweaver MX 2004 and have already setup the dropdown on the

page using the DW insert List/Menu feature. I have been able to select what

dynamic data I would like to show by use of a recordset I have already setup

with all the relevant columns.

The first problem I have is the DW insert list/menu feature only allows me to show one column of data. I want to show all three one after the other in

the same dropdown box. I am sure this is possible because I have done this

using SQL in MS Access. I am unsure how this is done in PHP MySQL.

The second problem I have is that I would like the selected data from the

dropdown to be transported to the next page which will be the Review Cart

page. I have read on forums that the use of variables would do this for me

but am unsure as to how I would implement them into dropdown on the product page.

The third problem I have is I do not quite understand how the dropdown would only show the Colour, Size and Price options for the product of that product page. I have a dynamic dropdown tutorial which states that a parents and child lists would be needed, but seeing as I am only having one dropdown box, I think the child list would not be necessary.

Would I need to put a parentID column in the database table and give an ID for each set of options? for example, Bracelet would have Silver, Gold and Silver Plate.

Would I need to put an ID of 1 for each of these and then go on to put 2 for the next set of options for another product and 3 for the next and so on?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank-you all,

Regards,

Rue

• 1 month later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.