Sports Disability Website

gaza165

As the site is obviously aimed at people with a disability you might want to keep this in mind with some things.

For example some people with a disability might use a special browser which does not support javascript and thus not be able to use the 'increase font size'  feature at the upper right. You could use normal links and let serverside scripting increase the font size (might want to use rel="nofollow" for search engines in that case) and let javascript handle it IF is running.

Or on the other hand you could let people do it the normal way as those who do experience problems with font-size should have figured out on their own by now how to get around it, in which case you could simply let javascript place those images there..

Why does the menu use images? Is that font so special you can't do the same thing with just CSS speeding up the page load time and preventing a flicker on the first mouseover?

And the images below it, shouldn't they be linked to somewhere?

Same goes for the header, is this such a special font you can't do this with css? (mainly seems more condensed than usual, letter-spacing: 0.4px; or something along those lines will give you a similar effect). And why isn't this header inside a heading tag (<h1> <h2> etc)

The links on this page, http://twells.thedesignmonkeys.co.uk/sports could use a :hover effect imo, change the link color or something.. give some kind of visual feedback as to what is being hovered. (do note that there should be a <h1> here again instead of an image as well)

Other than thate I don't have much to say, and it looks like the content is complete yet. Thumbs up for using a label for the search box at least ;) (far too many people that forget about labels)

On a more personal note, I think the top part (the 'header') takes up too much space, I would reduce the logo size and make the image below it a bit less high as well.

Hi,

Thankyou Axeia for your excellent reply.

I have taken your advice and shrunk the logo, i have also decrased the header height and updated the menu to not use images.

In terms have the accessability, are you saying...

If the javascript is enabled then show the Text Size buttons and if not, then let them figure it out on their own??

Would you say this website is accessible??

Thanks

Garry

Well you used to appropriate markup for the most part (missing some headers imo) as the menu for example is a list and used the alt text off images correctly from what I have seen which should ensure it's accessible as well as help out search engines with making sense of the page. So I'd say you'd pretty well as far as accessibility is concerned.

And yes I'm saying leave those buttons out if javascript is not supported/not enabled as it's only confusing to have show it up if it doesn't do anything. So either,

a) Provide a serverside "backup" so that it works via some url parameter or something

or

b) Don't show it when it can be used. (use javascript to insert the images)

[edit]

Think the resizing did the page, if I downscale my window to 1024x768 I can see the entire first paragraph of the frontpage now instead of just the title. It's the content people are there for after all, making them scroll to even see the first bit isn't something you want to do.

I see you changed the menu to regular text, that's an improvement as well, always try to mimize the number of connections a page needs, it's one of Yahoo's Best Practices (<- very useful link)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.