I am new to .htaccess and I am trying to shorten the URL from something like

http://79.170.44.125/platinumbrides.co.uk/page.php?page_id=about_us

to

http://79.170.44.125/platinumbrides.co.uk/about_us

Looking through tutorials out there I have the htaccess as

RewriteEngine On

RewriteRule ^([a-zA-Z0-9_-]+)$ page.php?page_id=$1

RewriteRule ^([a-zA-Z0-9_-]+)/$ page.php?page_id=$1

However this is not working it still shows the original url and if I type inthe shortened URL I get an error saying the page cannot be displayed

What am I doing wrong? :confused:

I always find that when debugging, adding the [R] flag to the end of rules can help you see why it isn't working. You don't appear to be specifying a RewriteBase, as such you should probably change your pattern to...

RewriteRule ^([a-zA-Z0-9_-]+)/?$ /page.php?page_id=$1

The key difference is the forward slash before the second URI. Note I also combined the two RewriteRules by simply saying the trailing slash is optional.

Looking at your original code it would appear that the IP is your domain meaning platinumbrides.co.uk is a folder on the domain. Which means you need to change the relative paths of your domains, in that case you're probably going to need something more like...

RewriteRule ^platinumbrides\.co\.uk/([a-zA-Z0-9_-]+)/?$ /platinumbrides.co.uk/page.php?page_id=$1

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.