Any ideas for my browser game?

DarrenReeder

Well, the best bet would be adventurous.

So something along the lines of what Reaper said?

You could start off with a basic idea of .. a castle.

Then build it up and have a castle with a dungeon with a dragon guarding it and a princess saying "Oh save me" at the top.

Or you can have a castle, with loads of dragons flying around it. A princess in a little hut being stollen by a horrible man called bill.

No idea, but you may get the idea?

Well, the best bet would be adventurous.

So something along the lines of what Reaper said?

You could start off with a basic idea of .. a castle.

Then build it up and have a castle with a dungeon with a dragon guarding it and a princess saying "Oh save me" at the top.

Or you can have a castle, with loads of dragons flying around it. A princess in a little hut being stollen by a horrible man called bill.

Did you make games for the Atari 2600?

Text based games only really do well if either:

A, You have an original idea and are the first to implement it.

B, You steal someone elses idea, but do it better than the rest.

And you must have active game staff and regular updates if you want to keep the players coming.

Just don't make a mafia game, theres already about 30million to choose from and 99.999% of them are crap.

Just don't make a mafia game, theres already about 30million to choose from and 99.999% of them are crap.

Only 99.999%? I would say 100% with no rounding. Text based games are extremely limited as

1.) They are harder on the server than other MMOs (The server processes the code, not the client.)

2.) Graphics can't compete.

3.) Requires more bandwidth.

Now thats pretty bad and probably explains why there is no such thing as an entertaining text based game as of yet (To my opinion and many others). Now the question is, why the heck do so many people make them and all* fail miserably?

1.) People buy generic text based software and modify it a little to fit their preferences.

2.) People steal generic text based software and modify it a little to fit their preferences.

3.) PHP is the easiest programming language to learn and understand.

* is defined by 99.99% of text based games.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.