The story behind your username...

• Please log in to reply
218 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_kilbad_*

Guest_kilbad_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2006 - 01:17 PM

There are some obscure/creative/interesting usernames out there, and I thought it would be interesting to know where they came from...

Tell your story here!

#2 ober

ober
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 5,337 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted 31 August 2006 - 01:17 PM

You first!

Info: PHP Manual

#3 Corona4456

Corona4456
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 244 posts
  • LocationEl Paso, TX

Posted 31 August 2006 - 04:22 PM

Yeah! You can't just ask us to do it without you telling us your story!
What is the CoronaMatrix?

#4 ober

ober
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 5,337 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted 31 August 2006 - 05:17 PM

Mine is the first four letters of my last name, by the way.

Info: PHP Manual

#5 steelmanronald06

steelmanronald06
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,004 posts
  • LocationOk

Posted 31 August 2006 - 05:30 PM

Mine is obvisouly my name :)  Backwards and my year of high school graduation. 

#6 effigy

effigy
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 3,600 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 31 August 2006 - 07:23 PM

Even though the more popular definition of effigy is "a crude figure representing a hated person," I prefer "a likeness or image, especially of a person." We're all "in effigy" on the web and we should represent ourselves. I don't like it when people abuse the anonymity of the web and decide to be someone, or something else--often satisfying the first definition of effigy.
Regexp | Unicode Article | Letter Database
/\A(e)?((1)?ff(?:(?:ig)?y)?|f(?:ig)?)\z/

#7 .josh

.josh
  • Staff Alumni
  • .josh
  • 14,871 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 10:01 PM

^ totally agree

My favorite color is violet and i like to draw outside the lines (the proverbial "think outside the box"), hence the play on words. Crayon Violent. 

Okay well actually I like more of a lavender but I couldn't get Crayon Lavender to look as cool.

it is actually pretty common for people to not notice that extra 'n' in there. It's a shame, as I believe it downgrades my name from something totally awesome to somewhat quirky.
Did I help you? Feeling generous? Buy me lunch! 
Please, take the time and do some research and find out how much it would have cost you to get your help from a decent paid-for source. A "roll-of-the-dice" freelancer will charge you $5-$15/hr. A decent entry level freelancer will charge you around $15-30/hr. A professional will charge you anywhere from $50-$100/hr. An agency will charge anywhere from $100-$250/hr. Think about all this when soliciting for help here. Think about how much money you are making from the work you are asking for help on. No, we do not expect you to pay for the help given here, but donating a few bucks is a fraction of the cost of what you would have paid, shows your appreciation, helps motivate people to keep offering help without the pricetag, and helps make this a higher quality free-help community :)

#8 Corona4456

Corona4456
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 244 posts
  • LocationEl Paso, TX

Posted 31 August 2006 - 11:08 PM

Mine is obvisouly my name :)  Backwards and my year of high school graduation. 

so your name is dlanornamleets?  Looks german :D

Anyway, mine is kind of obvious... I love the beer and my numbers are my 2 football numbers when I played football in high school 44 and 56, coincidentally 4,5 and 6 have been 3 numbers that have been part of my life.  My social security number has only those 3 numbers in it (trust me you don't want to guess what it is... my credit is shot and the odds of you trying to pull fraud with it are slim next to none... since someone else already beat you to it :) ).  My son was born at 4:56 AM.

Those are just a few things that I can remember off of the top of my head.
What is the CoronaMatrix?

#9 .josh

.josh
  • Staff Alumni
  • .josh
  • 14,871 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 11:21 PM

holy crap it's true! if you add 317 to your current post count, you get... 456!!
Please, take the time and do some research and find out how much it would have cost you to get your help from a decent paid-for source. A "roll-of-the-dice" freelancer will charge you $5-$15/hr. A decent entry level freelancer will charge you around $15-30/hr. A professional will charge you anywhere from $50-$100/hr. An agency will charge anywhere from $100-$250/hr. Think about all this when soliciting for help here. Think about how much money you are making from the work you are asking for help on. No, we do not expect you to pay for the help given here, but donating a few bucks is a fraction of the cost of what you would have paid, shows your appreciation, helps motivate people to keep offering help without the pricetag, and helps make this a higher quality free-help community :)

#10 AndyB

AndyB
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 5,465 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 31 August 2006 - 11:26 PM

holy crap it's true! if you add 317 to your current post count, you get... 456!!

That may be what's known as a 'special case' rather than universally applicable.

Whatever!! Being a creative genius, I decided to use my first name and the initial of my surname for my username here.  Quite a story!!
Legend has it that reading the manual never killed anyone.
My site

#11 Daniel0

Daniel0
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 11,956 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 06:18 AM

My name, but Daniel was taken so I put a number after it.

#12 Guest_kilbad_*

Guest_kilbad_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2006 - 03:49 PM

My story is this...

When I was in about 8th grade (1995ish), I decided to get my first AOL AIM screenname.  Therefore, having just visited the Cantigny Estate and Museum (see: http://www.rrmtf.org/), seeing an exhibit on "Kilroy was here" (see: http://en.wikipedia....Kilroy_was_Here), I decided to use the name "kilbad" for my handle, which I came up with, obviously, when I tried some variatons of "kilroy."

I had no intentions of implying that "kilbad" ment "kill bad" (which would be an oxymoron) or "to kill the bad."  Honestly, it was the best quasi-creative screenname I could come up with at the time.  Since then, it has grown on me.  However, I must say I do like it in the sense that it is shorter and easy for people to remember (particularly in the days when personal AIM buddy lists did not download everytime one used a new computer).

That's about it..

..keep the stories coming.. I really like them!

#13 pixy

pixy
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 295 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 02:08 AM

Pixies are "michevious imps". And it sounds cool when spoken. What else?

This is a .44 Caliber Loveletter straight through my heart.

Tabulas + Threadless + Hire Me!

#14 tomfmason

tomfmason
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,696 posts
  • Locationstealing your wifi

Posted 02 September 2006 - 06:23 AM

Mine is rather simple. Tom being my first name and the fmason means Free Mason( Free and Accepted Masons).

Traveling East in search of instruction, and West to propagate the knowledge I have had gained.

current projects: pokersource

My Blog | My Pastebin | PHP Validation class | Backtrack linux

#15 kenrbnsn

kenrbnsn
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 8,235 posts
  • LocationHillsborough, NJ, USA

Posted 02 September 2006 - 01:38 PM

Mine comes from the username I got at my first "real" programming job in 1974. The usernames on the system had to be 5 characters long, so it was decided to take the person's last name and strip out the vowels. If the resultant string was less than 5 characters, it was padded with "x" characters until the length was 5. If it was longer than 5, the result was truncated. My last name with the vowels removed turned out to be exactly 5 characters -- "rbnsn". "ken" is my first name. So I've been using "kenrbnsn" or "rbnsn" for my username in various places since then. If you see a "kenrbnsn" on the Internet, it is probably me, but not always. I've found one or two other people using it. I was able to register the domain rbnsn.com in the early 90's when domain names were first sold. I also have "kenrbnsn.com", "kenrbnsn.org" and the variation "bsns.com" (this is to catch a misspelling of my email address that was published).

It's amazing how many people can't spell or pronounce "rbnsn"!  :)

Ken

#16 .josh

.josh
  • Staff Alumni
  • .josh
  • 14,871 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 02:58 PM

well i own crayonviolent.com so  :P

#17 Guest_kilbad_*

Guest_kilbad_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2006 - 03:22 PM

well I own kilbad.com  :P :P

#18 redbullmarky

redbullmarky
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,863 posts
  • LocationBedfordshire, England

Posted 02 September 2006 - 03:23 PM

I used to work in door to door sales and worked a ridiculous amount of hours, drinking Redbull (illegal in some countries!) just to keep going. Redbull kinda became my 'quirk', and "Redbull Mark' kinda stuck when people were trying to distinguish between me and other Mark's.
But when I used 'redbullmark' as a username once, it was taken, so i stuck a 'y' on the end.

There you go!

(interesting fact with regards to owning the names - I've not tested on anything else, but for anyone that has FF on the PC, type in 'redbullmarky' into your address bar...)
"you have to keep pissing in the wind to learn how to keep your shoes dry..."

I say old chap, that is rather amusing!

#19 Guest_kilbad_*

Guest_kilbad_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2006 - 01:19 AM

I saw crayonviolent.com.. do you have a personal site?

#20 .josh

.josh
  • Staff Alumni
  • .josh
  • 14,871 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 05:47 AM

yes it is my personal site.  i haven't really thouched it in a whiles. i've done odds and ends with it over time.  i used to make some flash cartoons that i had up there.  i think i have a cubecart with some custom clothes i was gonna sell on it right now.  lol, i haven't even gone there in a whiles. I suppose i shall eventually get around to doing something with it again.  I almost started a blog but then i thought blogs are kinda dumb.  My main passion is flash cartoons, so i'll probably end up doing something with that again, eventually.  but not today or tomorrow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users