The story behind your username...

Guest kilbad

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote author=effigy link=topic=106377.msg425555#msg425555 date=1157052183]
We're all "in effigy" on the web and we [i]should[/i] represent ourselves. I don't like it when people abuse the anonymity of the web and decide to be someone, or something else--often satisfying the first definition of effigy.
[/quote]

I prefer to maintain a certain amount of anonymity on the internet, but I try hard to not pretend to be someone I'm not. This brings to mind a quote I saw in IRC:

[quote]Welcome to the internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.[/quote]

;D

[quote author=redbullmarky link=topic=106377.msg426534#msg426534 date=1157210607]
(interesting fact with regards to owning the names - I've not tested on anything else, but for anyone that has FF on the PC, type in 'redbullmarky' into your address bar...)
[/quote]

If I try that with mine, FF simply tries to open http://448191/, while yours directs me to your phpfreaks profile (by way of google). How unfair is that!  :P

my name is boring.  'a' is the first initial of my first name and 'kitchin' is my last.  nothing special, but that's my SN most other places so it keeps things consistent.

i own akitchin.com (like the others), and "akitchin" in FF takes you to my phpfreaks profile too.  weird.

[quote author=akitchin link=topic=106377.msg443509#msg443509 date=1159509723]
and "akitchin" in FF takes you to my phpfreaks profile too.  weird.
[/quote]

It's not that weird, entering a keyword in the adress bar simply loads the top listed page on the SERP from google. What IS strange is that is doesn't do so with my username, while it IS the top listed on the SERP.

Again I'm being discriminated because of my username. Life isn't fair.  :P

[quote author=akitchin link=topic=106377.msg444131#msg444131 date=1159601801]
448191, might be because it somehow thinks it's looking for an IP rather than a domain pointer. 
[/quote]

I figured as much, but it seems odd that FF can't recognize an ip and tries to open an 'undotted' number...

[quote author=akitchin link=topic=106377.msg444131#msg444131 date=1159601801]
not sure, the internet is mysterious, powerful AND ALL-KNOWING.
[/quote]

Euh... If you say so.  (and I thought I had a strange sense of humor, lol... :P)

[quote]Typing "kilbad" into the FF address bar takes you to my personal site.... just wanted to rub that in..[/quote]

I get your profile. Top SERP listed. Same rule applies for everything else I tried. But thanks for the rub-in anyway...  ;D

It just redirects you to the first result of Google searching for that: http://www.google.com/search?q=448191

Searching for my own username http://www.google.com/search?q=Daniel0 I found out that other people than me use that for their username (not that it is very unlikely, but oh well...).

[quote author=Crayon Violent link=topic=106377.msg443850#msg443850 date=1159553241]
i think that's your own browser settings or plugin or something.  i type kilbad into my ff address bar and it brings up a search list.
[/quote]

i think that's a browser thing. when i type in 'kilbad' in FF, i get his homepage, too

as for me, 'obsidian' just started as my username back in the days of Fury 3 and Descent over the dial-up internet connections in high school. i liked the 'dark' feel to it, yet it really means nothing besides the smooth volcanic glass... which in and of itself is pretty cool, too. once i got to college and broke out Descent with all my buds again, the username kind of spread to everything else as well...

[quote author=obsidian link=topic=106377.msg444847#msg444847 date=1159731404]
i think that's a browser thing. when i type in 'kilbad' in FF, i get his homepage, too
[/quote]

I think it's because google 'localizes' SERPs. Try if the page you get is the top listed when you search for it on google. Google is alot more sophistocated than you think.

[quote author=neylitalo link=topic=106377.msg444903#msg444903 date=1159742924]
I wouldn't go that far - top 10, maybe. UT2004 is #1 on my list.
[/quote]
eww... the origional UT is still the best of the bunch.

Back about 6 years ago...one of my friends started to call me Zanus
as if to insult me, in a friendly way.  I'd get upset about it sometimes but when they eventually kept calling me that it stuck and everyone else decided to tag that name to me.

My real name is Zane....
and I've had such phrases like Zane the Pain come about a thousand-teen times in my life.

after Zanus...it became Zanus the painus in the anus..lol

Maybe that's an interesting story...I dunno
if I'm not using zanus...I use dockeryz...which is just my last name and first initial

• 2 months later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.