The story behind your username...

Guest kilbad

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

Someone requested that I share my story.  I used to use a chat room pretty heavily years ago and when I first registered I found that, in part anyway, the username I picked seemed to determine how people treated me.  After a few changes in username I selected CaptainChainsaw as I felt I needed something authoritative while also a bit menacing lol  I found that some were a bit scared to talk to me, others thought it was funny.  It's kinda stuck as I can't think of anything else, I even used it as the name of my first php project www.captainchainsaw.com...... sacfree pants anyone? lol see the clothing section!

Cheers,

CC :)

[quote author=ProjectFear link=topic=106377.msg970676#msg970676 date=1219301553]
I find it annoying when people say you're supposed to watch Star Wars in the order of I, II, III, IV, V, VI... Why the hell would he make the last three first if you were supposed to wait 25 years before seeing the first three. -_-"
[/quote]
I wouldn't say you're necessarily [i]supposed[/i] to watch them in the numerical order. That's the nice thing about prequels and well written stories that can each be completely self-contained. In an interview I read a long time ago, Lucas selected episodes IV, V and VI initially because he felt they were the ones most prone to holding up a solid story on the big screen (understandably so, given the time they were made). Interesting to think that now there are well over 50 [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Star_Wars_books]Star Wars books[/url] available to read. Thankfully, I don't think that Lucas will be trying to make them all into movies ;)

[quote author=corbin link=topic=106377.msg971457#msg971457 date=1219362025]
I must concur on LotR being better than Star Wars.  Then again, I prefer fantasy over sci-fi in general.
[/quote]
Definitely have to agree here. I had thankfully read all the LoTR books a second time shortly before [i]The Fellowship of the Ring[/i] came out, so I was once again reminded of the creative license that movie makers are (sadly) able to take in some cases. I mean, I've never really understood how a movie maker could completely change a character from a book or just decide to leave them out of the story completely (Tom Bombadil, for example). I still must say that, as a movie, the LoTR trilogy is one of my favorites.

As for other fantasy writing in general, I've enjoyed reading Robert Jordan's [i]Wheel of Time[/i] series (although there are a couple duds in there) as well as reading Terry Goodkind's [i]Sword of Truth[/i] books. I would like to see someone get license to do a couple of the better stories in either of those series, too.

[quote author=obsidian link=topic=106377.msg975884#msg975884 date=1219851812]
[quote author=ProjectFear link=topic=106377.msg970676#msg970676 date=1219301553]
I find it annoying when people say you're supposed to watch Star Wars in the order of I, II, III, IV, V, VI... Why the hell would he make the last three first if you were supposed to wait 25 years before seeing the first three. -_-"
[/quote]
I wouldn't say you're necessarily [i]supposed[/i] to watch them in the numerical order. That's the nice thing about prequels and well written stories that can each be completely self-contained. In an interview I read a long time ago, Lucas selected episodes IV, V and VI initially because he felt they were the ones most prone to holding up a solid story on the big screen (understandably so, given the time they were made). Interesting to think that now there are well over 50 [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Star_Wars_books]Star Wars books[/url] available to read. Thankfully, I don't think that Lucas will be trying to make them all into movies ;)
[/quote]

He is doing the Clone Wars again, animated though.

"As for other fantasy writing in general, I've enjoyed reading Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series (although there are a couple duds in there) as well as reading Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth books. I would like to see someone get license to do a couple of the better stories in either of those series, too."

Hrmm might have to look into those.

As for the Star Wars out of order, I watched the old ones first, and they made more sense once I saw the new ones, but like you said, the story lines in each movie still made sense, it was just the whole over view.

[quote author=ProjectFear link=topic=106377.msg976533#msg976533 date=1219907446]
[/quote]

The thing about that, though, is that it's not a new concept at all. The [i]Clone Wars[/i] style in the CGI movie is patterned after the Cartoon Network series that aired in three seasons from 2003 - 2005.

call me a nerd, but i saw the new clone wars movie 2x...once with a good friend and again with my wife, daughter, and brother in law...

thoroughly enjoyed it both times...yes, it is animated...didnt care for that as much, and the voice acting could have been better, but all in all i thought it was a good flick...

[quote author=Vermillion link=topic=106377.msg977426#msg977426 date=1219988485]
I like children and fantasy. My name comes from a fantasy RPG, in which Vermillion is a guy that protects a little girl.
Vermillion is also a pretty color.
[/quote]

As well as a city in Pokemon games.

Vermillion City

Ya...I played.

Was about to say that to, it's a city in pokemon. Oh those were the days. :P

[quote author=obsidian link=topic=106377.msg977103#msg977103 date=1219959805]
[quote author=ProjectFear link=topic=106377.msg976533#msg976533 date=1219907446]
[/quote]

The thing about that, though, is that it's not a new concept at all. The [i]Clone Wars[/i] style in the CGI movie is patterned after the Cartoon Network series that aired in three seasons from 2003 - 2005.
[/quote]
Yeah I've read about that. Except this is better animation. :P

[quote author=corbin link=topic=106377.msg977072#msg977072 date=1219957614]
As for the Star Wars out of order, I watched the old ones first, and they made more sense once I saw the new ones, but like you said, the story lines in each movie still made sense, it was just the whole over view.
[/quote]
It's good though, to watch the old ones first. It makes you think, you wonder. "Who is Darth Vader?" I thought it was smart how he did it.

[quote author=unsider link=topic=106377.msg977449#msg977449 date=1219991062]
[quote author=Vermillion link=topic=106377.msg977426#msg977426 date=1219988485]
I like children and fantasy. My name comes from a fantasy RPG, in which Vermillion is a guy that protects a little girl.
Vermillion is also a pretty color.
[/quote]

As well as a city in Pokemon games.

Vermillion City

Ya...I played.
[/quote]

I am a dermatologist, and vermillion is also used to describe the "...sharp demarcation between the red of the lip and the adjacent normal skin..." See [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermillion_border]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermillion_border[/url]

• 2 weeks later...
I have no idea why I'm using this one.. I usually use bridgey, or a variation of, as that's my nickname.

To be honest I probably didn't think I'd be sticking around much so put in anything ["Scott" was probably taken :)]. Y'know how many forums you sign up to these days eh ;)

coldfiretech [Cold Fire Technology LLC]  Is the name of the business that my friend and i recently started.
In a book that i have read it talks about the flame of life, a cold flame, a blue flame. Most people who dont have a spiritual side to them probably wont understand it so..i dont really know what else to say ;)

[quote author=Derleek link=topic=106377.msg986965#msg986965 date=1221006467]
**off topic**

jeebus this thread is long, just curious, have there been any longer in phpfreaks forums? lol

190+ responses... wow lol
[/quote]

Yes, the longest one is 563 (that's 38 pages) and it's a discussion about a single thing. It's not available for you to read, however.

Besides the one I mentioned, there are two other which you can see here: http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php?action=stats

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.