LAMP issues in SUSE 10.1

OK, I know NOTHING about Linux (OK, I know just enough to install it).  I want to just set up a simple web server with PHP and MySQL support using Apache2.  Should be simple enough.  So I tried ...

I installed Apache2 following the directions on the site, and that worked beautifully.  So then I downloaded the latest php tarball (5.1.6) and attempted to install that.  I opened a terminal and did "su root" to switch to root, then did:

gzip -d php-5.1.6.tar.gz
tar xvf php-5.1.6.tar
cd php-5.1.6
./configure --with-apxs2=/usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs --with-mysql

Errored out on finding "libxml2" -- so I found that online, downloaded, and installed the same way I did Apache2 ... worked!  So then I tried the same commands above, and it errored out in finding MySQL ... well duh, I didn't install that yet.  So here's my question:

If i take off the --with-mysql switch, do I need to do something after installing PHP to get it work with MySQL?  Or should I install MySQL first?  Which is another issue -- I tried that, but it wouldn't let me run ./configure because it said it didn't need that and just worked!  So do I just un-tar it to /user/bin/mysql5 or something?

AAAHHHH!  Linux is so foreign!

Thanks!

--Nathan

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.