get distinct values from an array

jarvis

Hi All,

Sorry I'm struggling with trying to get distinct values from an array. I have the following code which pulls a list of clients from a news table:

list($client_newsRecords, $client_newsMetaData) = getRecords(array(
    'tableName'   => 'news',
'orderBy'     => 'client ASC',
  ));

I then use the list to create a drop down:

<select name="fieldname" size="1" onChange="openDir( this.form )">
    <option selected="selected">-- Please Select --</option>

<?php foreach ($client_newsRecords as $record): ?>
    <option value="downloads.php?client=<?php echo urlencode($record['client']); ?>" selected><?php echo $record['client']; ?></option>
  <?php endforeach ?>
  </select>

The problem is, if several news articles are added with the same client, the drop down list shows loads of the same client in the list. Hence the reason for the removal of any duplicates.

Any help is much appreciated

Thanks again in advanced

Try using 'GROUP BY' in your MySQL statement, which I'm guessing will be something like so:

list($client_newsRecords, $client_newsMetaData) = getRecords(array(
    'tableName'   => 'news',
'orderBy'     => 'client ASC',
'groupBy'     => 'client'
  ));

Hopefully your getRecords() function is set up to handle 'groupBy' as the actual MySQL syntax is 'GROUP BY'.

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately, that doesn't work. I get the error:

Unknown option 'groupBy' specified. Valid option names are: (tableName, where, orWhere, orderBy, limit, offset, perPage, loadUploads, allowSearch, requireSearchMatch, loadCreatedBy, useSeoUrls, loadListDetails, joinTable, debugSql, leftJoin, useCache, pageNum, ignoreHidden, ignorePublishDate, ignoreRemoveDate, requireSearchSuffix, includeDisabledAccounts, addSelectExpr)

Hope that helps?

Thanks again!

I fear your applying array_unique to the wrong array. What exactly does getRecords() do and how does it work? You really need to pass it a GROUP BY clause but considering it is not standard php, we have no way of letting you know how to do that.

Thanks thorpe. I would assume getrecords() retrieves the details from the db table, you then pass them into the code and reference each element.

This code is from a CMS, not something I've done myself. However, I'm trying to modify a particular page hence this post.

The GROUPBY didn't work as I tried that too.

Apologies if this doesn't answer your questions or is a little vague!

Thanks all for your replies. Unfortunately, I'm not able to use the GROUPBY option. What if I therefore go through all the elements in the array and count them? Then remove if the number is greater than 1? Something like:

<?php $record_count_arr = array_count_values($client_newsRecords); ?>
<?php
foreach($client_newsRecords as $record => $client) { 
  if($record_count_arr[$client] > 1) 
  { 
    unset($client_newsRecords[$record]); 
  } 
} 
?>

Although that gives an error:

Warning: array_count_values(): Can only count STRING and INTEGER values! in ....php

So may need some work!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.