\n issue in php

atchua

i am working on how to create PDFs through PHP by importing the ezpdf class.  the inserting of text in the PDF file works fine but the \n character is ignored thus making the text overlap each other.  However, in some machines it works out fine and the \n character is applied.  So i was just wondering if you are familiar with this problem? is this something to do with the configuration of the php (php.ini)?

For example (coming from PHP):

$pdf->ezText("hello\nagain", 12);

the ideal display or output is:
hello
again

but instead of displaying it, it ignores the \n character making the text overlap each other.

hope someone could help me out with this, thanks in advance :)

actually i am retrieving details from the database then i would store it on a variable

let's say i would retrieve an id and name from the database and combine them into one string

$string=id ."\n". name;

after which i would use the string variable to write on the pdf using

$pdf->ezText($string, 7);

but after this process and when the pdf is streamed into php, the id and name overlap each other instead of the name placed on the next line on the pdf file created.

i am running out of ideas because this same code when run in another server (with the same configuration and setup) actually works, meaning the id and name are separated and the newline character was applied.

the classes that i used are class.ezpdf.php and class.pdf.php, wherein the class ezpdf extends the latter class.  both classes are version 9 and were downloaded from the net

just to reiterate, the confusing part here is that why in some machines it work but in others it doesn't

thanks for all the replies

still no luck, if \r\n is used the text overlaps

but when \r alone is used it just writes/displays the text in one line.

my guess is that the problem is already with the configuration or settings because the same scripts are used in different machines though not all display the desired appearance of the text on the PDF.  of course, i'm still new with the ezpdf functionality.

any other ideas will be greatly appreciated  :)

i haven't found any descent documentation about ezPDF and if there are there were no details about special characters. 

i already tried using nl2br() and addslashes() but neither works.  the first one makes the system also display the br tag while the latter has no effect to the string displayed meaning it has the same effect of text being overlapped to each other.

any other ideas as to why this is so? cannot figure out what to do anymore

thanks

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.