Web developer

Mossypne

The salary of a web developer is irrelevant.  Why not instead do a PowerPoint presentation on how the central banks have taken over all the major governments and converted our entire system of obtaining goods into a debt-based system.  Then you can go on to show that no matter which career path you choose, the path is always ladened with debt-based institutions you must pass through.

The final slide could then say, "Yah, you're !@#$ed."

On topic, depending on locale, experience, and some other factors, you'll see numbers between $40k and $80k on average for web development; that's in U.S. dollars.

They are either...

a.) exaggerating,

b.) just plain lying,

c.) have a strange idea of what it is to be an experienced developer,

d.) live in a eastern country such as India where the value of money is very different to what it is here in the west. 

I seem to remember a similar post, not sure it's the same one, but the OP stated something like they have 4 years experience as a web developer, but also stated they are like 16 or something. I'm sorry but that just doesn't count. 4 years which may have involved a bit of 'dicking' around with websites whilst not at school is not comparable to somebody working in the industry for 4 years. It's probably not even comparable in experience to somebody that's worked in the in the industry for even half a year.

I seem to remember a similar post, not sure it's the same one, but the OP stated something like they have 4 years experience as a web developer, but also stated they are like 16 or something. I'm sorry but that just doesn't count. 4 years which may have involved a bit of 'dicking' around with websites whilst not at school is not comparable to somebody working in the industry for 4 years.

While I agree with you that 'dicking around with websites' wouldn't qualify as web development experience I find it unfair to assume this is what their experience consists of.

I seem to remember a similar post, not sure it's the same one, but the OP stated something like they have 4 years experience as a web developer, but also stated they are like 16 or something. I'm sorry but that just doesn't count. 4 years which may have involved a bit of 'dicking' around with websites whilst not at school is not comparable to somebody working in the industry for 4 years.

While I agree with you that 'dicking around with websites' wouldn't qualify as web development experience I find it unfair to assume this is what their experience consists of.

I'd say its a pretty fare assumption given that they wouldn't have any real work experience. Ive been dicking around with development for probably 8 years but really didn't even start to see how things work until probably 4 years ago when I first started freelancing, then again when I started up my hosted cms service and then again even more so 12 months ago when I got my first job as a web analyst / programmer.

At 16, I'm afraid all you've really done is dick around with web sites.

Not always, a friend of mine has been seriously studying and been working in application development (primarily C/C++) since he was 9 years old. He is now 20 with 11 years of programming experience and is now studying computer science in college.

I'm 16 years old and I've been studying programming seriously for over 3 years.

But perhaps I'm misunderstanding the matter at hand. Are we talking about having experience and knowledge within the field, or experience with freelancing in the field?

Not always, a friend of mine has been seriously studying and been working in application development (primarily C/C++) since he was 9 years old. He is now 20 with 11 years of programming experience and is now studying computer science in college.

I'm 16 years old and I've been studying programming seriously for over 3 years.

But perhaps I'm misunderstanding the matter at hand. Are we talking about having experience and knowledge within the field, or experience with freelancing in the field?

I'm talking about having real life programming experience working for a company as a developer. Its an entirely different kettle of fish.

I don't see how working for a company is relevant as the guy we're talking about was freelancing, and not working for a company. Plus, I'm fairly certain we were discussing the experience in a field, not in the freelancing, or working in that field specifically. The guy stated he has 4 years experience with web development, nothing about working with company, or freelancing.

Oh, and I should add. I'm definitely not putting everyone in the basket. I'm aware there are lots of young people and people who have never had a job in the industry with plenty of programing talent., I'm just saying I would (for the most part) agree with cags's assumptions above.

I don't see how working for a company is relevant as the guy we're talking about was freelancing, and not working for a company.

My point exactly. The experience you gain working for a company is very much a valuable thing.

I don't disagree, but I think from the start we've been talking about two different things. Cags was originally talking about web development experience, and you've been talking about work experience.

I don't see how working for a company is relevant as the guy we're talking about was freelancing, and not working for a company.

My point exactly. The experience you gain working for a company is very much a valuable thing.

I don't disagree, but I think from the start we've been talking about two different things. Cags was originally talking about web development experience, and you've been talking about work experience.

They are the same thing if you work as a web developer. You just don't get the same experience studying.

They are the same thing if you work as a web developer. You just don't get the same experience studying.

They're not exactly the same. Working as a web developer professionally is web development experience, but studying web development isn't work experience. And in this case cags was referring to his experience with web development.

Your originally point that it's a fair assumption that they won't have much work experience is in most cases fair. But I wasn't talking about that in the first place, and I don't believe cags was either.

Even if they had not been 'dicking around' and had been 'seriously working' at that age they would legally still be in full time educations meaning it was not full time experience. I could claim to have 5 years guitar playing experience, but it doesn't change the fact I play at most for 30minutes a day and normally probably only for say an hour a week. I'm not knocking the fact the person may have some skills, I'm saying that calling it 4 years experience is a.) ridiculous, b.) deceiving.

If you tell somebody you have 4 years experience in doing something when advertising yourself, a person reading the advertisement would automatically (and rightfully) assume that is 4 years full time, commercial experience (whether it be for a company or freelance). "I have been studying web development for 4 years and during that time have done some part time work as a freelancer"  is a completely different statement that would perhaps stand as being a lot more true.

company - team work. if your team is bad, you will suck :) and that's happens to most people. Freelancers - most of them ( about 99% ) can't !@#$ing "correctly" program or make some thing "real" of their own. If some one saying to have seriously worked for over 1-2 years ( maybe more ) then they should be able to produce some thing like google maps in no time.

If some one saying to have seriously worked for over 1-2 years ( maybe more ) then they should be able to produce some thing like google maps in no time.

Uh yeah... Shall we say you'll present a Google Maps clone next Monday? I'll be waiting for that.

You said that having a couple of years of programming experience should mean that you easily could create Google Maps in short time. I take it you have that kind of experience to be able to make such statements, so I'll be looking forward to seeing that Google Maps clone.

If some one saying to have seriously worked for over 1-2 years ( maybe more ) then they should be able to produce some thing like google maps in no time.

Oh aye, no worries. Trust you have a billion dollar satalite I could borrow to take a few snaps o' Earth first like?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.