Expiration dates

Eiolon

I want to make it show that a card has expired if it's after the expiration date.  Dates are stored in DATETIME format in the database so this is what I have done:

<?php $today = date("Y-m-d"); ?>

echo 'The card has expired.';
} else {
echo 'Active.';
}
?>

It seems that my card is never expired even though I set the date in the database to be: 2010-02-26 00:00:00

Thanks!

Not surprising, you're not comparing integers, you're comparing formatted dates. PHP can't handle that comparison with <.

Instead, use strtotime on the variables and then compare:

<?php $today = time(); $CompareExpirationDate = strtotime($ExpirationDate); ?>

echo 'The card has expired.';
} else {
echo 'Active.';
}
?>

@ialso agree, you are correct that the formatted date is the problem but not about the comparison operator.  The operator will work perfectly well but will do a string compare not a numeric compare, which will not deliver the required results.

The solution to convert dates to timestamps before conversion is, however, the way to go to ensure accuracy.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.