Why was runescape and habbo hotel built in JAVA?

Orionsbelter

For years i have wondered this, why was it built in JAVA?. Does java allow you to create animated games i do see lot's of games built in JAVA and my question is do JAVA allow you to create things that can move alot like computer games the only other thing i have seen that can allow things to move on screen in a gameplay motion is FLASH but that is understandable as it started off by been an animations program.

As far as I'm aware, if you want to have a non-text game on the browser, it must be in flash or java if you don't want the user to install anything fancy.

Flash has a negative stigma due to all the amateurs programming in it.

Although I don't know the reasoning why they decided Java over Flash. Perhaps its easier to program in or perhaps its more open-source. Maybe Java is more efficient than flash.

question is do JAVA allow you to create things that can move alot like computer games

Didn't you answer this question yourself when you brought up runescape?

Almost every animated game on the net is flash.

A lot of colleges push java - it is a good programming language to learn object oriented programming fundamentals in. It might have just been what the developers had a background in.

There's also the fact that it requires a plugin, that like other Adobe products (I'm looking at you, Acrobat Reader) it's a vector for malware, and a couple of the big smartphone manufacturers (Apple, Microsoft) want nothing to do with it.

As a language, Actionscript is a proprietary and modified/extended version of JavaScript.  Take that as you will.

So does PHP, what's your point? (If the point was just that it has the stigma, fair enough.)

As a language, Actionscript is a proprietary and modified/extended version of JavaScript.  Take that as you will.

Not entirely correct, ActionScript is one of a number of dialects of ECMAScript: another is JavaScript.

Not entirely correct, ActionScript is one of a number of dialects of ECMAScript: another is JavaScript.

Sort of like humans and apes. Humans did not evolve from apes. They have common ancestor.

So does PHP, what's your point? (If the point was just that it has the stigma, fair enough.)

Java doesn't have a negative stigma. Flash does. Although I suppose my argument is a little invalid considering when they decided to make a game in Java (98 or 99), flash didn't have the stigma.

Personally, I hate Java - the runtime is bloated and makes my whole browser lag, plus I use java apps so infrequently that I always have to install or update the runtime.

Everyone is going to have their own opinion of different technologies but it is pretty hard to be against using a propriety technology when there isn't a good, non-propriety alternative. I've heard java applets called a dead technology more than once. Flash isn't made to make whole websites, but it is the best platform for games, web cams, streaming video and animation.

I'd say, in general, people like flash because they think games. My brother talks about "Flash Games" like they're their own genre or something.

Personally, I hate Java - the runtime is bloated and makes my whole browser lag, plus I use java apps so infrequently that I always have to install or update the runtime.

Everyone is going to have their own opinion of different technologies but it is pretty hard to be against using a propriety technology when there isn't a good, non-propriety alternative. I've heard java applets called a dead technology more than once. Flash isn't made to make whole websites, but it is the best platform for games, web cams, streaming video and animation.

I'd say, in general, people like flash because they think games. My brother talks about "Flash Games" like they're their own genre or something.

Be honest. The only reason you hate Java is because it's more difficult.

Be honest. The only reason you hate Java is because it's more difficult.

?

I always thought Java was an easy language to program in. I'd say Flash is a touch harder, but they are also both very close to program in.

Really the only reason I don't like Java is because of the runtime and it's performance. It isn't that bad for simple programs (I've used Frostwire) but it isn't good for web apps -- which is probably why most developers are writing in Flash. Java is to Flash what Perl is to PHP.

?

I always thought Java was an easy language to program in. I'd say Flash is a touch harder, but they are also both very close to program in.

Really the only reason I don't like Java is because of the runtime and it's performance. It isn't that bad for simple programs (I've used Frostwire) but it isn't good for web apps -- which is probably why most developers are writing in Flash. Java is to Flash what Perl is to PHP.

Buddy, you are contradicting yourself here.

You say Java is easier to program than Flash (Which explains why all the amateurs prefer Flash over Java!  ::) ), but everyone knows Perl is harder to program than PHP.

So...

Easy:Hard::Hard:Easy

That anology doesn't make sense unless you were comparing them some other way.

Honestly, I have no clue in the world how you could think the reason people use Flash is for its runtime and performance (I'm ignorant on this matter though) but what I do know, is the easier something tends to be, the more crap that gets written for it. Examples: PHP and Flash.

I believe you have the anology correct, but you are contradicting yourself by saying Java is easier than Flash.

OR

(Using your logic)

(Java:Flash::Perl:PHP, we can reason you are saying PHP is the fast one as its the similiar one to Flash which is also the fast one)

Slow:Fast::Slow:Fast

Also you say Flash is more efficent (I assume thats what performance/runtime means...?) than Java but using that logic you also say PHP is faster than Perl (I've seen statistics although not ones I've made of my own, but anyways Perl is always faster). Which is wrong. PHP can't even be compiled.

PHP can't even be compiled.

None of the languages mentioned actually can (in strict sense of the meaning). PHP and Perl require interpreters to be available, and Java and Flash require a virtual machine.

PHP can't even be compiled.

That's not true. PHP compiles your code into what they internally call "opcodes". If you use an opcode cache you can entirely skip the lexical analysis and parsing.

Compiling doesn't mean turning something into a file that ends on .exe. A compiler is simply a program that turns some computer language into another computer language. Something that turns PHP into Perl would also be a compiler. The target language is entirely irrelevant.

If you put Java and Flash side by side in their history, that in and of itself should answer your question.  Simple put, Java has been around much much longer than Flash has.  I believe Flash games became popular around the same time that newgrounds.com came about; if I had to guess.

That being said, you can just imagine all of the libraries and such that have been developed over the lifespan of Java.  Not to mention the 3D modeling engines that may run side by side in creation of a game.  If you take a look at a 3D Flash game you'll notice that Flex or Swift3D was involved in the 3D process...(programs designed specifically for Flash) not Maya, not Lightwave, not Cinema4D..

It's just about the same concept as Javascript.  Although you can't make a 3D game with it (even if you could it would be highly difficult), it has been around so many years that libraries upon libraries have been developed for it.  Some winners, mostly losers.  jQuery comes to mind.. as it's pretty much my favorite Javascript library.  It would take hundreds upon hundreds of lines of Javascript to do the things you can do with jQuery.

That's just a quick analogy of why Java is so.... brute.  It may be a little difficult (though more refreshingly easier than Perl) but thanks to all the libraries that exist, one can create nearly anything they want in Java... on any platform.

To come to think of it.. if you're wanting to create a program, a web based program.. you pretty much have 3 choices.

- Flash (Which works on all platforms now)

- Silverlight (Which has overrun Flash's popularity lately and only works on Microsoft)

- Java (The daddy of em all)....

Of course you could always create a PHP web-based app, but you'd need something client side like Javascript/AJAX to really make it "pop."  And you could also make a C++ program, but it's INPUT would have to be something generated from a webpage.. bringing you back to PHP/ASP.

So why do people make Java games instead? Because, like has been mentioned before, EVEYRONE has Java.. and if they don't it's because they either don't have internet or are too lazy to install their updates.  Maybe there is a 3D Java library, maybe there isn't, but you can essentially use anything to create your model and put it in Java.  Once it's in Java... that's it.

Of course... I may be completely and utterly wrong.. I don't even make games (especially 3D ones).  So take my answer with a grain of a salt.

Comparing Java to Flash is somewhat like comparing apples to oranges. Java is a programming language, period. Flash is not, it is a platform that allows embedding interactive content into a unified format. That you can do same thing with Java applets, doesn't mean they're same thing.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.