Developing on Linux systems

redbullmarky

Hi all
I'm kinda deciding what to do as far as my setup here goes. On a day to day basis, I use my PC for web design (dreamweaver), email (thunderbird), browsing (FF), etc - no games, etc. I'm looking at the possibility of converting to a Linux-based system, for many many reasons, and have looked at Ubuntu. Also, as two of the 3 programs I use every day are open-source, I'm only left with one commercial piece of software.

My questions:
1) does anyone here develop on a Linux setup?
2) are there any open-source packages that could give me the PHP/MySQL development environment that dreamweaver does (with ability to also preview site), and are they any good (in your opinions)?
3) a nice extension to my last question, what would be the best package to use to enable me to keep better track of re-usable scripts? I have dozens of scripts that I use for various projects, but keeping track of little tweaks I make are quite hard when they're copied in various different locations.

in summary, I'm just looking for a bit of advice in making the switch. Having used Mac OSX and getting a strong idea of all the benefits, the only decision now is in regards to the software available for web design.

Cheers
Mark

I have thought many times about switching my delelopment machine over from Windows to a Linux distro, but there are two things holding me back.

- Photoshop. I just can't get into 'The GIMP', people keep telling me that it has all of the features of Photoshop, but I just can't agree with that. I don't find it very easy to use either.

- Target users. You have to admit, Windows with IE is probably the most popular combo. You need to be able to test your projects on a machine that is similar to your target users. I have multiple machines I could test on, but it's a pain in the arse switching machines just to test minor alterations. FireFox on Linux and FireFox on Windows do NOT render websites the same either - I have noticed that is the case with Firefox on OSX too. I think it's something to do with the way Linux and OSX render type, as it's antialiased...

They're the two things holding me back from the switch.

SA, I'd probably say I'd agree to the most part. I actually use Fireworks MX for GFX, etc, and I don't think they have a Linux version (closest being the Mac OSX version), so that would be a stumbling block for a full development system.
I've installed a copy of Ubuntu on my system to try out properly, so I'll give gimp a go and look around at alternatives. However, I don't do much in terms of gfx so that's probably not such a big issue with me, but the fact that there's such an open-source community (meaning that i'm not gonna get hit in the pocket when using some of these packages) is an immediate plus.

I think that the reputation of security/stability has been the biggest thing for me to make me consider a switch, along with the fact that I don't do anything "PC specific" on my machine anymore. Games are what my PS is for, work is what my PC is for.

As for the rendering - I did notice that, but mainly in the way that it dealt with fonts. On one of my sites, I had 'Verdana' as the font, which on the Mac/PC is fine - but on Linux comes out as something totally different (nice, though!) - a totally OTT serif font.

I dunno. It's not something I'm gonna rush into, but definitely something I want to consider - every day I seem to read about some security issue or other, patches, etc (for Windows), and considering the price of Windows/Dreamweaver/Fireworks when upgrading etc, the open-source road seems a very attractive one to consider.

jcombs, i'll take a look at those. I'd heard of Bluefish, but not as yet taken a good look, so cheers for the tips!

Cheers
Mark

SA

just for information, photoshop is a fully functioning program in <a href="http://www.winehq.com">Wine</a> the linux wondoze api emulator

the listings of what does and does not work in Wine are here at <a href="http://frankscorner.org/index.php?p=graphics"> Franks Corner </a>

[quote]I think that the reputation of security/stability has been the biggest thing for me to make me consider a switch[/quote]
Honestly, I don't think that's a valid argument for switching.  If you're using XP, when was the last time you actually had a crash or a reason to restart that wasn't because of an install/uninstall.  I can also leave XP up for extended periods of time without problems.

And as far as security... I've been using my current installation of XP for close to 2 years now without ANY kind of anti-virus.  I have yet to have any kind of security issues.

I honestly think MS has evolved for the most part that people can't really use that excuse for switching if they're keeping up with patches and using their computer with a little common sense.

[quote author=paul2463 link=topic=106500.msg426536#msg426536 date=1157210767]
<a href="http://www.winehq.com">Wine</a> the linux wondoze api emulator
[/quote]

According to Wine's name it's not an emulator.

Wine is recursive acronym and means "[b]W[/b]ine [b]I[/b]s [b]N[/b]ot an [b]E[/b]mulator".

Source: [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_%28software%29]"Wine (Software)" on Wikipedia[/url].

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.