help with setting up MySQL

gtludwig

Hello all,

I'm a newbie here so, please, have a little patience with me! :D

I'm setting up a LAMP server at work. The L is Ubuntu 6.06, the A is Apache2, M is MySQL and P is PHP5. All is working but MySQL. Each time I try to set up MySQL I get this:

[code]root@rx160:~!# mysql -u root
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)
root@rx160:~#[/code]

I'm running out of ideas as how to get my application running. The goal is to run as test NetOffice to manage my company's projects.

Thanks in advance!

Gustavo

Ok, I've done that and it prompted me for a password. But the same error occurred again.

I don't think I have a root user registered in this installation of MySQL. How can I check that out?

I'm thinking of removing everything MySQL related and restarting from scratch. How can I make sure to remove everything and set it up again? Will only:
[code]# apt-get remove sql-server[/code]
do the trick? I've tried this already and after:
[code]# apt-get install sql-server[/code]
the same error keeps returning.

I really don't want to re-install Ubuntu, but if it's what it takes to run, so be it!

Thanks again!

Gustavo

well by default mysql will install a defualt user, which is root with no password. I am not experienced with installing apps in linux so I cant help you there. If are using ubuntu prehaps have a read of [url=https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ApacheMySQLPHP]this guide[/url] over at help.ubuntu.org for installing Apache Mysql and PHP on Ubuntu

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.