I want a friendly error, not a SQL error....

Moron

My query:

[code]$RESULTDS=mssql_query("SELECT DISTINCT LH.[Employee Number], LH.[Lmo], LH.[Lda], LH.[LYR], LH.[Hours], LH.[Leave Code], M2.[HRYRAT], M2.[EMPNO], M2.[MANLAP], M2.[MANLAC], M2.[MANLTC], M2.[MSKLAB], M2.[MSKLTC], M2.[MSKLAB], M2.[MSKLTC], M2.[NAMEMI], M2.[NAMEL], M2.[NAMEF] FROM LEAVHST LH INNER JOIN MASTERL2 M2 ON LH.[Employee Number]=M2.EMPNO WHERE M2.[EMPNO] = '".$_POST['employeenumber']."' and
M2.[MSSNO] = '".$_POST['password']."' and (LH.[LYR] = '$last' AND LH.[Lmo] >= '07') OR (LH.[LYR] = '$last' + 1  AND LH.[Lmo] < '07')  ORDER BY LH.[LYR] desc, LH.[Lmo] desc, LH.[Lda] desc");
$RESULT=mssql_fetch_assoc($RESULTDS);[/code]

I have an employee leave program in the works. If they enter their employee number with matching SSN, it works great. If they enter an invalid entry for either, it throws a SQL error.

Rather than an "ugly" SQL error, I want it to tell them "Invalid Employee Number" or "Invalid SSN." They can't leave either field blank because I have Javascript validation on the form.

What's the best way to handle this?

[quote author=AndyB link=topic=106507.msg425983#msg425983 date=1157123077]
.. or die("Either the Employee Number or SSN you entered was invalid");

Like that, or 'friendlier'?
[/quote]

Interesting, but doesn't it have to successfully connect to the database before it'll know if the entry was valid or not?

[quote author=Moron link=topic=106507.msg425997#msg425997 date=1157124596]

[/quote]

Interesting, but doesn't it have to successfully connect to the database before it'll know if the entry was valid or not?
[/quote]

[quote]If they enter an invalid entry for either, it throws a SQL error. [/quote]

So the combined effect was along the lines of:

[code]$query = "SELECT distinct .... whatever the query is ...";
$RESULTDS = mssql_query($query) or die("Hi, there ..... use the 'back' key to go back and do it properly!");[/code]

[quote author=AndyB link=topic=106507.msg426011#msg426011 date=1157126023]
[quote author=Moron link=topic=106507.msg425997#msg425997 date=1157124596]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[quote]If they enter an invalid entry for either, it throws a SQL error. [/quote]

So the combined effect was along the lines of:

[code]$query = "SELECT distinct .... whatever the query is ...";
$RESULTDS = mssql_query($query) or die("Hi, there ..... use the 'back' key to go back and do it properly!");[/code]

[/quote]

BOOYAH! That works (with my own message, of course). Wow. I didn't realize that you could use an "or die" statement in a query. I've only seen it in a connect statement.

Thanks, Andy!

:)

Yes just type it as normal. But if use double quotes in your html make sure you add a slash infront of them, eg:
[code=php:0]$result = mssql_query('blah ...') or die("<span style=\"color: red; font-wight: bold\">There appears to be an internal error. Please come back later</span>");[/code]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.