CGI or Server Side Includes

lmandaleeka

I am just exploring technologies, one question I had was, is PHP run as a ssi - within the process space of the webserver or is it run as CGI?
If I can do both, then is there any support in PHP for Fast CGI?
I read that session management is done by writing to secondary storage like /tmp of disks or databases, if I were to chose the Fast CGI option is there any in memory session management capability available?

What are the reasons that PHP shouldnt be used in CGI mode?
One is apparently the typical reasons of CGI having a lot of process over head due to process start and stop. Cant this be mitigated with fast cgi? Can we use PHP in fast cgi mode?
If I were to use JVM based servlets or JSPs versus PHP, isnt it more efficient considering that PHP is interpreter based?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.