12 replies to this topic

#1 Demonic

Demonic
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 562 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 01:59 AM

Private Message System has been re-enabled, but only Moderators and Admins can send Privates Messages.  This will provide a way for the Moderators to communicate in private with any one member.

^this is false so whats the deal with the false statement here?(fact I can PM users)

#2 AndyB

AndyB
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 5,465 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 02 September 2006 - 02:07 AM

Guess it's not quite set up the way we wanted it to be ... yet.

Before you get a PM about it, how about removing that sexist, tasteless icon you're using.
Legend has it that reading the manual never killed anyone.
My site

#3 steelmanronald06

steelmanronald06
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,004 posts
  • LocationOk

Posted 02 September 2006 - 02:25 AM

It is supposed to be a true statement..We are having troubles out of it right now, but I am working on getting it straight.

#4 Demonic

Demonic
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 562 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 02:51 AM

Just edit the file or somthen and do if your not admin/mod dont display link.

#5 steelmanronald06

steelmanronald06
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,004 posts
  • LocationOk

Posted 03 September 2006 - 07:15 PM

I do believe that the problem is now fixed. Can anyone verify that they cannot send/reply to PM's?

NOTE:  Admins and Moderators are exempt from this; they can still send PM's

#6 Daniel0

Daniel0
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 11,956 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 01:59 PM

Can anyone verify that they cannot send/reply to PM's?

Verified:

An Error Has Occurred!
You are not allowed to send personal messages.

#7 wildteen88

wildteen88
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 10,482 posts
  • LocationUK, Bournemouth

Posted 05 September 2006 - 01:12 PM

I do believe that the problem is now fixed. Can anyone verify that they cannot send/reply to PM's?

NOTE:  Admins and Moderators are exempt from this; they can still send PM's

Steelman I cannot send PMs :( I dont think anyone can.

#8 ober

ober
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 5,337 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted 05 September 2006 - 01:26 PM

I'm able to send them... but I'm not completely surprised.  Wildteen, can you try to reply to the one I sent you and then try to send me a new one as well?

Info: PHP Manual

#9 wildteen88

wildteen88
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 10,482 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 01:31 PM

ober I got your PM, couldnt reply though. No buttons to reply/quote etc. If I click Outbox link I get the 'You are not allowed to send personal messages.' Or if I click the 'New Message' link I get the same result.

EDIT: I looked at the permissions I have by clicking the Show Permissions link and I found this:

pm_send
Send personal messages Denied by: Super Guru

Looks like I'm part of the Super Guru member group, but am masked as a moderator.

Also its not just me thats effected, Its all of the moderators! However some moderators are asisgned to different member groups.

#10 .josh

.josh
  • Staff Alumni
  • .josh
  • 14,871 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 01:53 PM

yeah i'm not allowed to send PMs either, and i'm in 'proficient' group.
Did I help you? Feeling generous? Buy me lunch! 
Please, take the time and do some research and find out how much it would have cost you to get your help from a decent paid-for source. A "roll-of-the-dice" freelancer will charge you $5-$15/hr. A decent entry level freelancer will charge you around $15-30/hr. A professional will charge you anywhere from $50-$100/hr. An agency will charge anywhere from $100-$250/hr. Think about all this when soliciting for help here. Think about how much money you are making from the work you are asking for help on. No, we do not expect you to pay for the help given here, but donating a few bucks is a fraction of the cost of what you would have paid, shows your appreciation, helps motivate people to keep offering help without the pricetag, and helps make this a higher quality free-help community :)

#11 ober

ober
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 5,337 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 02:01 PM

Weird... I would have thought the global mod group would supercede those other groups.  I'll have to look into that.

#12 wildteen88

wildteen88
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 10,482 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 02:09 PM

I found out why, I went into AdminCP. I was allowed access with my password BTW. I went to look at the permissions and found that you have the Send PM setting set to Deny. If this happens any moderator in that group will have that permission removed. Prehaps set it to Disallow. This si what the contorl panel says about the Deny permission:

Remember that if you deny a permission, any member - whether moderator or otherwise - that is in that group will be denied that as well.
For this reason, you should use deny carefully, only when necessary. Disallow, on the other hand, denies unless otherwise granted.

The Deny permission doesnt affect Admins.

I havn't changed anythink in the AdminCP. Just browsed the permissions.

#13 ober

ober
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 5,337 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 02:17 PM

Please see conversation in Admin Cafe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users