Website Schematic

bgbs

My site is becoming very complicated, and it is hard to know what is happening when making changes to the site. I wonder if there is a website schematic software that I can use to start mapping the website and its functions.

If anybody knows a way or a software that I can utilize to map the site, and print it out on a big sheet like a blueprint to keep track of my development work flow that will be great. I would think that somehow companies that create complicated sites do utilize some sort of a system to keep track of the way their site works.

Thanks ahead of time

The best way to keep it organized is to start with an organized structure. Ie put files in directories that make sense for what they contain. /javascript ( put all javascript in there ) /classes ( put all php classes ) /classes/plugins (you get the idea by now i bet)

Since thats not really where you are at though we'll move on..

What is it, exactly that you want to know how to map?

you mention 'website', 'its functions', 'my development work flow' all of which are completely different data, so finding one piece of software won't happen in this instance. sorry to be blunt but it's just too abstract.

To track your web pages, links titles etc, use a site map builder... such as: [http://www.xml-sitemaps.com/]

To track functions, use a documentation tool such as: [http://www.phpdoc.org/]

To track your development work, use version control such as: [http://subversion.apache.org/packages.html]

You could also use Zend Studio to help locate code that is referenced in different files, it can help in your actual development work, but not with tracking perse.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
that somehow companies that create complicated sites do utilize some sort of a system

1. Many days of planning (combined: go Agile!!) (Project Analysis & -Design)

Frontend (HTML, CSS, JS): sitemap, wireframe, card sorting, color theory, ..

Backend (PHP): domain model, class diagram, use-cases, ..

2. development-, testing-, staging- & production (=live) server

development: realm for "hackers"

testing: realm for testers

staging: realm for annoying clients

production: realm for screw-ups

3. Subversion, GIT, CSV, Mercurial, ..

distributed or centralized?!? Do you want fries with that?

4. apply Test-Driven Development (TDD) and use a Continuous Integration (CI) server

PHPUnit & Selenium, PHPUnderControl

Those are a few of the topics you would get thrown at you if you would work in a company that produces enterprise software

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.