Best way to structure query based on form

aleX_hill

I have a mailing list which I am developing which allows users to sign up to any (or multiple) of three lists. The send email form looks like this:

<h2>SEND EMAIL TO LIST</h2>
    <form action="/mailingList/submitMail/" method="post">
   Which Lists:<br />

<input type="checkbox" id="list1" name="list1" value="1" /> List 1<br />
        <input type="checkbox" id="list2" name="list2" value="1" /> List 2<br />
        <input type="checkbox" id="list3" name="list3" value="1" /> List 3<br />

Enter Email:<br />

<textarea name="email" cols="50" rows="5"></textarea>
     	<button type="submit">
       		  Send Email
    	</button>
</form>

Now My database is a very simple structure with the following fields:

id - int

Name - varchar

Email - varchar

list1 - bool

list2 - bool

list3 - bool

What I am stuck on is the best way to develop my SQL query based on the $_POST data.

I dont want to use a whole bunch of if/switch statements and write a different query for each, and I am sure there is an easier way to do it then that.

Any suggestions?

Few ways to make your life easier.

For the checkbox, you can have all of them save into one array...ex

<input type="checkbox" name=list[1] value="true" />

<input type="checkbox" name=list[2] value="true" />

<input type="checkbox" name=list[3] value="true" />

Then loop through that array, set your values to what you want (if it wasn't clicked or true, then set it as false) - and then run your db query :)

The problem that I have is structuring the query.

Would it be (based on my original code, will make your suggested change when I get time)

$query = "SELECT * FROM mailingList WHERE list1='$_POST[list1]' OR list2='$_POST[list2]' OR list3='$_POST[list3]'

This didnt seem to work for me.

Nope.

I want to select the users from the table which have list1='1' if the list1 checkbox was checked, or list2='1' if the second was checked.

So if the user selects list1 and list3, and user who has list1='1' OR list3='1' will be selected (ie this email is relevant to people who are interested in the stuff list 1 or list 3 were set up for. If they ONLY subscribe to list 2, ignore them)

I have done the insert bit somewhere else

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.