Browse Toturials

ram4nd

I am making a site browse-tutorials.net.

I am not happy with the result yet. I am looking for some advice on how I could improve my site, so it would be ready  for masses.

My site is about browsing tutorials. There are same kind of a sites like tutorialized or good-tutorials. My goal is to be better than those sites, i have plan what i am going to do to achieve that, but I will do that extra feature at summer when I have the school break.

I hope to see your comments soon.

Way too over-board on the black. Kind of feels like you're trying to accomplish a gamer-style template. The green starts to give you a head ache after a while as it stands out and draws the eye away from everything else. I think a cool blue would work better, with some other blue highlights through the page, and a few other colours/shades in there too.

Content wise there's not much there, and to be honest kind of makes me think what's the point in this? Is there really a need for yet another script / tutorial / article directory site? Personally I think the navigation needs a lot of work, though I wouldn't say move the login to the bottom.. I'd ditch the Google search bar (after all people can search your site and a few billion others much easier through their browser) and place a login form in-place. Make the navigation clearer, add hover effects, etc. Add a home link. Add some bread crumbs or something to make things all the more simpler for the user.

Not a bad start I guess, needs work though..

Way too over-board on the black. Kind of feels like you're trying to accomplish a gamer-style template. The green starts to give you a head ache after a while as it stands out and draws the eye away from everything else. I think a cool blue would work better, with some other blue highlights through the page, and a few other colours/shades in there too.

Content wise there's not much there, and to be honest kind of makes me think what's the point in this? Is there really a need for yet another script / tutorial / article directory site? Personally I think the navigation needs a lot of work, though I wouldn't say move the login to the bottom.. I'd ditch the Google search bar (after all people can search your site and a few billion others much easier through their browser) and place a login form in-place. Make the navigation clearer, add hover effects, etc. Add a home link. Add some bread crumbs or something to make things all the more simpler for the user.

Not a bad start I guess, needs work though..

Thank you that was the response I was looking for. I am bad with designs myself so this design is made by my friend. I'll think about it. I have few ideas that make my site better than others like it out there, so no comments about: is it necessary to do that kind of a site, please. Right now I use google to provide search function, but making my own search is in the list already.

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy...

Alright, logging on to your page my first impression is that there's a lack of content (know its under construction) BUT the design is clean and clear. Submit Tutorials should probably be lower on the list under Menu. If i'm looking for something on your site as a new visitor I don't want to be asked to log in first thing.. i might just x out and keep searching elsewhere. I like your register form, very clean. Contact us is good.. but maybe put in a Contact Form ... it's a bit annoying to have to copy/open my email prog/ paste your addy/ blah blah blah.

3ds section:

Okay... i know what a golder ring is but what's a Box Modeling Cat? I have to click the link to see... time wasted if it's not what I want. I suggest you put a thumbnail of each model next to each result so I can see what each model is. That's much faster then having to read each line if I'm skimming your page. By the way, good job sticking to your color theme.

The tutorials:

Well.... it goes to another page altogether... so, I guess you don;t have control here but if the page that you frame is gross people are going to think your site design is bad. Just keep that in mind.

Blender.. php:

Whoa. Lot's of different page styles under your frames. It's a distracting surprise everytime a new site opens up because I have no idea how i'll be receiving the new data or in what order... again, not really anything you can do tho.

Over all I like your site. It does exactly what it says. You may want to give notice to users that you are framing these tutorials to separate yourself from their bad design. You definitely need a logo and that should be on the frames. I was confused at first that I was actually being framed to a new site at first.

Other then that, give me a feel for how rich your content is when I come on to your page. It's kinda bland in the sense that off the bat I don't get the feeling that "This site has what I need!!"

Hope that heps

-K.candiotti

Your header is glued to the top of the page, (IE/FF/Chrome) which is quite contradictory to aesthetics, and the "Custom google search" seems to be put in there out of the blue, You should add matching patterns to the background to allow it to be implemented properly, else it's more an eyesore than a useful task (if you are even using it for search and not ads..)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I can do somethign about it, but not many persons who has javascritp disabled. Cause most sites use javascript for your benefit.

Yeah but these websites apply the Graceful Degradation technique which means that if you do have JS disabled you will still be able to work with the website instead of being completely locked-out like your website does.

Some examples that keep working even after JS is disabled: Google Maps, ReCaptcha, GMail, this very forum, ..

True, but now to my original problem. I need a good design for my tutorial boxes so any suggestions? The same design goes to tutorial view before loading or if loading is done then the part that appears after pressing more.

Javascript.... if someone doesn't use javascript they should be slapped in face and a potential visitor has JS disabled well bad f*cking luck if you ask me.

As for the website i think its got some great potential as when trying to find a good source of tutorials is harder then it seems. I use the site's content and i like the concept and navigation. However the design needs some kick to it (in my opinion)

jurasiprize: I agree about the javascript, so I will use ajax for everything that isn't necessary to be crawled by google. Login, userpanel etc. I will rich the tutorial boxes with images, when I will get time on it at summer. People are saying that the design is plain, but I am trying to make it as small as possible, images are big, but I'll see to it.

.Stealth: It is really hard to get people to write good descriptions, I can make it 120-150 world long, and full 50-500 letters long descriptions will be at tutorial view. Once again I am saying that people are not going to put the main Description in first sentence. Maybe I should add a little text to tutorial submitting, I am making new system where there are embed codes and links, probably writing option as well if I get it done by summer.

Also I am going to put lot of effort to users, maybe profiles and some statistics. I hope the site has future. Would like to get the hosting money back at least, maybe host the site in us then, cause most users are form there. Long way, many hops, big latency for you guys from Europe.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.