How to fix my site?

vinnier

You mean other than having an invalid doctype, using HTML tags in a strict html document, leaving quotes off of attributes, and not closing tags properly?

And that's just in the first four errors.

When you have errors in your code, browsers have to guess how to interpret the errors. The very fact that they are errors means that there is no standard to how errors should be interpreted - each browser will do it in its own way. This makes cross-browser debugging extremely difficult. Which is why I said that step one is to get rid of all the errors in your code. 99% of the time that will fix 97% of your problems.

And you have some MAJOR errors in your code, starting from the first line of your document.

It's much better, but 55 errors is still too many errors to be able to say anything conclusively.

One of the big problems you have is that you are using & in your URLs in the code. You need to change that to &

But you have others as well. Google the error, and you should find some ways to fix it.

Tried what you told me, and the number of errors remained the same, made no difference at all.

Plus i have found that the rest of the errors are because I don't use CSS for image settings etc.

I changed the document type and now I am down to 2 errors.

The last error is because you don't have a closing tag on this form:

<form action="flashchat.php" method="post" name="login"><table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2">

It may seem like I'm being a little pedantic on this, but a missing closing tag will cause problems below, as the browsers will think everything after the opening tag is part of the form.

Step one finished!

Ok, the next thing to do is go through your elements, and make sure you don't have any side paddings/margins on elements with a set width. You also want to make sure you don't have any top/bottom paddings/margins on elements with a set height.

For example, your sidebar is set with this CSS:

float:left;
padding:15px 20px;
width:200px;

IE renders paddings and margins differently than every other browser. So what you do is use two divs. So change your sidebar to this:

<div id="sidebar1">
  <div id="sidebar_padding">
    // sidebar stuff
  </div>
</div>

And set your CSS like this:

#sidebar1
{
  float:left;
  width:200px;
}
#sidebar_padding
{
  padding:15px 20px;
}

This way the width is the same for the sidebar whether it's IE or another browser, and the padding will also render the same for all browsers, since the padding is not combined with a width.

Find any other elements you have done this (combined a width with a margin and/or padding) and do the same thing - add an inner div, then put the margins/padding on the inner div.

Nightslyr thanks, looks to complicated for me ;)

What's so complicated about it?  Cut & paste the code from one of the CSS reset pages the Google search shows, and save it in an external CSS file.  Link to it before linking to your custom CSS.  Voila, you're all set.

I mean, here's the link to Eric Meyer's reset file: http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/css/reset/reset.css  It can't get much easier than that.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.