1. 1. Do you use Microsoft Frontpage??

• Yes
    • No

Guest askjames01

This is one example that i created in Frontpage:

take a look guys.. : )

Website sample made from Frontpage

not bad huh?

as you notice when you look at the html codes there is no frontpage signature...

well, i just used my tricks to out smart frontpage... it's really simple to trick frontpage, i think you know it too but you are maybe just lazy and busy to do the tricks...

i always remove the signatuer of frontpage to let some Internet browser to

display it properly just like Netscape Navigator.

i almost forgot to mention i use only the old version Frontpage 2000.

but of course right now i'm using Dreamweaver....

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as you notice when you look at the html codes there is no frontpage signature...
hmm... I guess I'm just out of the loop then.

How about the use of 20 identical <p> tags? What happened to the use of CSS? And in the cases where CSS is used, it's a class='MsoNormal'. What could Mso stand for? MS Office, possibly?

Since when do you use a class and a style attribute in the same element? When has the use of "line-height: 100%;" started? Isn't it a bit useless?

What is the tag <o:p>? And who's heard of the font "Aurora BdCn BT" or "Americana XBdCn BT"? What version of CSS has the attribute mso-spacerun or mso-bidi-font-style?

Sorry, james, There is no way you're going to get rid of the "FrontPage signature". And if you do, you've rewritten the site completely.

Guest askjames01

that is not what i'm trying to explain...

let me start over again...

the signature here that i'm trying to say is that the one when you finish

creating a webpage from frontpage some internet browser like netscape

will scramble the alignment and the output display is annoying,

that's what i'm talking here not that all mso, it's not necessary to remove

the mso thing.

Try to make some web page from Frontpage then execute it in

netscape you'll see what i mean here, but i solved that problem

i've just tricked Frontpage, huh, huh, huh... : )

that is not what i'm trying to explain...

let me start over again...

the signature here that i'm trying to say is that the one when you finish

creating a webpage from frontpage some internet browser like netscape

will scramble the alignment and the output display is annoying,

that's what i'm talking here not that all mso, it's not necessary to remove

the mso thing.

Try to make some web page from Frontpage then execute it in

netscape you'll see what i mean here, but i solved that problem

i've just tricked Frontpage, huh, huh, huh... : )

296788[/snapback]

You haven't really tricked Frontpage at all, neylitalo pointed out a lot of Frontpage 'signatures', and if you are going to all of this 'effort' to 'trick' Frontpage, why not just use something that doesn't add all this crap in the first place? I also don't find your reasoning behind using 5 different editors valid in any way - I use PHP Coder 2005, and only that - Its free and does everything in one package.

I use frontpage because it's easy to use... it's not that annoying really,

if you know the tricks huh, huh, huh : ), but the problem it's not WYSIWYG

I'm not sure which version of Frontpage 2000 you are using, but as far as I was aware, it is a WYSIWYG editor.

Guest askjames01

ok, SA maybe you are all right.

so, can you tell me where should i download that (PHP Coder 2005)

so i can stop torturing myself.

my dream is ---> Dreamweaver, but maybe i should try your suggestion first.

so what is the right link for that?

SA, are you sure you're not thinking about PHP Designer 2005?

James: PHP Designer 2005 is currently my IDE of choice, as well. Click here for a free download.

And unless you can really afford Dreamweaver, I don't suggest you buy it. It doesn't really have anything that makes it stand out from any of the others.

SA, are you sure you're not thinking about PHP Designer 2005?

James: PHP Designer 2005 is currently my IDE of choice, as well. Click here for a free download.

And unless you can really afford Dreamweaver, I don't suggest you buy it. It doesn't really have anything that makes it stand out from any of the others.

297180[/snapback]

Sorry, yes, PHP Designer 2005. Its a bit slow when opening up scripts initially, but its free and does almost everything Dreamweaver does - I can live with that.

• 1 month later...
I'm sorry but I completely disagree with you. I used Dreamweaver for a day and then ditched it.

311724[/snapback]

maybe that's simply because of the learning curve. gast is right: dreamweaver does more than enough for any basic site layout (an much better than M$ Frontpage, too). again, i don't recommend using it's generated code much, either, but for basic layout, at least it keeps the markup clean... no FP "signature tags" or anything like was mentioned above in the thread. if you ditched dreamweaver for a day, it was most likely due to your understanding of the software, NOT due to lack of what the software could do. just because a piece of software is easier to generate code with than another, does NOT make it better.

dreamweaver allows much more flexibility in your design as well. oh, yes, and there is a reason FP sells for only $169.99 when Dreamweaver 8 sells for $379.99 as with most computer related products: you get what you pay for.

and, the beautiful thing is, software like PHP Designer 2005 that patterns itself after dreamweaver or homesite style is free... i don't see any popular FP clones out there

i don't see any popular FP clones out there

311736[/snapback]

Probably because FP isnt that popular itself.

About the DW generated code: you can always tell when a site is built in dreamweaver because in the source you see the Javascript function names of "MM_jumpMenu", etc. :)

About the DW generated code: you can always tell when a site is built in dreamweaver because in the source you see the Javascript function names of "MM_jumpMenu", etc. :)

311764[/snapback]

hence, the reason i never use generated JS... i code everything by hand anyway... that's what DW specializes in... it sort of merges the idea of a WYSIWYG editor with the great development tools of HomeSite.

I suppose if you're good enough at coding without WYSIWYG, anything is possible :)

However, because I'm lazy I find it good to lean back on an easy design method, and it just happens that because I've been using MS programs for years, I find Frontpage easy and quick to use.

If I had more time to learn, I might try out DreamWeaver more and PHP Design Programs

If I had more time to learn, I might try out DreamWeaver more and PHP Design Programs

311767[/snapback]

I recommend you do. It can make your life a lot easier, espeically when coding in PHP. Because of colour-coded syntax's it makes it a lot easier to find errors and writing code.

*snip* by ober - I'm probably over my bounds here, but we shouldn't be encouraging that... mainly for legal reasons.

I really like pspad app. it is solid and does everything that I like and need to do. it isn't a WYSIWYG editor.... but call me old fashion. I love my text editors to program with. Plus with pspad you can do more then just web stuff. It can do VB, C++, Cobal, VB, VBscript, Java, INI files, and tons more. About 29 different ones. and the ability to add more custom ones. With 8 different types of DBs. Free of course.

• 5 months later...
Guest neewah

Heh wonderful i went on their site and the first thing i saw after i clicked security updates was

"MS06-017 - addresses a vulnerability in Microsoft Front Page Server Extensions" (they can't even spell it right lol)

[!--quoteo(post=363934:date=Apr 12 2006, 09:56 AM:name=neewah)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(neewah @ Apr 12 2006, 09:56 AM) 363934[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]

Heh wonderful i went on their site and the first thing i saw after i clicked security updates was

"MS06-017 - addresses a vulnerability in Microsoft Front Page Server Extensions" (they can't even spell it right lol)

Cant spell what right? Everything spelt correctly to me.

dreamweaver is the 'jacuzzi' of web design. not entirely necessary to get by, but ultimately luxurious and makes life that little bit easier and sweeter.

micro$oft frontpage is the toilet that's just been used by the county curry club, complete with ringlets of runny bowel movements smeared up the back, front and sides, that has had no effort to be cleaned up whatsoever.

i could go on, but i'm sure i've made my point clear.

[!--quoteo(post=365057:date=Apr 15 2006, 01:39 PM:name=neewah)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(neewah @ Apr 15 2006, 01:39 PM) 365057[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]

Sorry i'm being picky - FrontPage is one word

and you're definitely not the first to say that FrontPage doesn't deserve the space... ;)

• 1 month later...

[!--quoteo(post=167777:date=Oct 21 2004, 08:40 AM:name=Cook)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Cook @ Oct 21 2004, 08:40 AM) 167777[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]

I must confess, I bought it, FP2003. I should have broken my leg that day instead.

I now code everything by hand, I mean everything, PHP, JS, HTML, CSS, SQL, with a simple yet good text editor, with syntax highlighting for many languages and powerful find/replace capabilities.

I'm a bit of a control freak. Generated code scares me, so inefficient, so unreadable, so unmaintainable, you name it.

i use frontpage for 2 reasons

A: i found fp2003 on ebay for $30 true holygram cd

B: to organise my site with the folders pane and not have to go into explorer to get to my other pages

but i never acculy use the design mode....... i like the color thing too because if the hole things blue i know i made a screw up!....lol

• 2 months later...

This is a really old thread. But since people have replied in it recently I'll go ahead and have my say.

Frontpage sucks. It's of no use for developers.

Dreamweaver: the code highlighting rules. Nothing beats it. But that's about it. I've never used ANY of the so called "advanced" features Dreamweaver has to offer, and most likely never will.

Since now I've discovered Zend Studio.

No, I don't get paid to praise Zend Studio (if only that were true), but I definately like it. A lot.

I've coded Visual Basic .NET in Visual Studio which makes life very very very easy on you, but this comes pretty close.

Get the trial and see what I'm talking about.

As said, the code highlighting features could use some work, but otherwise there is no PHP compatible IDE that comes even close.

Praise. I just hope it gets that 'little something' more to stand up to Visual Studio. Which is unprecedented as far as I know. If Microsoft were to incorporate PROPER php, css, xml and html support (which they'll probably never do), zend would be screwed as is.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.