8 replies to this topic

#1 onemind

onemind
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 03:28 PM

Hi,

I have used php 4 alot and haven't attempted php5 yet. From what i can tell, not alot of web servers have made the transition and all my clients ask for php unkowingly running a php 4 server so any php 5 stuff wont work for them.

Is it too soon for php5? When will php5 become mainstream do you think?

Any insights would be great.

#2 onlyican

onlyican
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 921 posts
  • LocationHants - UK

Posted 03 September 2006 - 03:39 PM

php 5 is only really just become "Steady"
A lot of servers have been waiting for this

Also for a hosting company to change a shared hosting server over means that any of there current customers using functions which dont work in php5 (noob programmers) means they will loose out.
So hosting companies dont really want to change yet
Tell me the problem, I will try tell you the solution

#3 AndyB

AndyB
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 5,465 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 03 September 2006 - 04:05 PM

using functions which dont work in php5 (noob programmers)

I believe the correct term is 'legacy application' not 'noob programming' :)

@onemind: your clients couldn't care less how you do what they want; they only care that it works. While php5 has advantages in certain circumstances you need to code what works on the target server your client uses, not what can only work in the right circumstances.  Given that there are still a zillion servers out there with register_globals ON, expect a long wait until php5 is a widely installed hosting server base.
Legend has it that reading the manual never killed anyone.
My site

#4 wildteen88

wildteen88
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 10,482 posts
  • LocationUK, Bournemouth

Posted 03 September 2006 - 04:19 PM

PHP4 code is backwards compatible with PHP5. So if someone creatse an app on a server using PHP4 and they move it to a server running PHP5 the script will still work. However the thing that will either make or break you app is the difference between how PHP is setup on the two servers. Such as the PHP4 server may have a setting turned on, ie register_globals, but the PHP5 server has this setting disabled. This may cause your app to function incorrectly.

#5 onemind

onemind
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 04:59 PM

Thanks guys,

So what is the bottom line? Hold off for a while? I mean, i will still learn it in the mean time but does it look as though v4 is still current?

#6 .josh

.josh
  • Staff Alumni
  • .josh
  • 14,871 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 05:04 PM

i suggest continuing on with v4.  keep in mind that it's not like v4 and v5 are two completely different languages, so it's not like you're gonna somehow be completely lost if you choose one or the other.  from what i understand, the most major changes between the 2 is a revamped OOP structure/support in v5, which is not what you'd really be learning as a beginner in the first place.
Did I help you? Feeling generous? Buy me lunch! 
Please, take the time and do some research and find out how much it would have cost you to get your help from a decent paid-for source. A "roll-of-the-dice" freelancer will charge you $5-$15/hr. A decent entry level freelancer will charge you around $15-30/hr. A professional will charge you anywhere from $50-$100/hr. An agency will charge anywhere from $100-$250/hr. Think about all this when soliciting for help here. Think about how much money you are making from the work you are asking for help on. No, we do not expect you to pay for the help given here, but donating a few bucks is a fraction of the cost of what you would have paid, shows your appreciation, helps motivate people to keep offering help without the pricetag, and helps make this a higher quality free-help community :)

#7 onlyican

onlyican
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 921 posts
  • LocationHants - UK

Posted 03 September 2006 - 05:27 PM

The main difference between the 2 versions are certain functions (and bugs cleared)

I run a localhost, when building websites, which is php5
My Web Server is php4

Theres not much difference
Tell me the problem, I will try tell you the solution

#8 extrovertive

extrovertive
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 235 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:27 PM

Aside from new functions and a better OOP paradigm, there's not really much difference right?

#9 .josh

.josh
  • Staff Alumni
  • .josh
  • 14,871 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 09:09 PM

nope, not really.
Did I help you? Feeling generous? Buy me lunch! 
Please, take the time and do some research and find out how much it would have cost you to get your help from a decent paid-for source. A "roll-of-the-dice" freelancer will charge you $5-$15/hr. A decent entry level freelancer will charge you around $15-30/hr. A professional will charge you anywhere from $50-$100/hr. An agency will charge anywhere from $100-$250/hr. Think about all this when soliciting for help here. Think about how much money you are making from the work you are asking for help on. No, we do not expect you to pay for the help given here, but donating a few bucks is a fraction of the cost of what you would have paid, shows your appreciation, helps motivate people to keep offering help without the pricetag, and helps make this a higher quality free-help community :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users