Too soon for php5?

onemind

Hi,

I have used php 4 alot and haven't attempted php5 yet. From what i can tell, not alot of web servers have made the transition and all my clients ask for php unkowingly running a php 4 server so any php 5 stuff wont work for them.

Is it too soon for php5? When will php5 become mainstream do you think?

Any insights would be great.

php 5 is only really just become "Steady"
A lot of servers have been waiting for this

Also for a hosting company to change a shared hosting server over means that any of there current customers using functions which dont work in php5 (noob programmers) means they will loose out.
So hosting companies dont really want to change yet

[quote author=onlyican link=topic=106736.msg427152#msg427152 date=1157297986]
using functions which dont work in php5 (noob programmers)
[/quote]

I believe the correct term is 'legacy application' not 'noob programming' :)

@onemind: your clients couldn't care less how you do what they want; they only care that it works. While php5 has advantages in certain circumstances you need to code what works on the target server your client uses, not what can only work in the right circumstances.  Given that there are still a zillion servers out there with register_globals ON, expect a long wait until php5 is a widely installed hosting server base.

PHP4 code is backwards compatible with PHP5. So if someone creatse an app on a server using PHP4 and they move it to a server running PHP5 the script will still work. However the thing that will either make or break you app is the difference between how PHP is setup on the two servers. Such as the PHP4 server may have a setting turned on, ie register_globals, but the PHP5 server has this setting disabled. This may cause your app to function incorrectly.

i suggest continuing on with v4.  keep in mind that it's not like v4 and v5 are two completely different languages, so it's not like you're gonna somehow be completely lost if you choose one or the other.  from what i understand, the most major changes between the 2 is a revamped OOP structure/support in v5, which is not what you'd really be learning as a beginner in the first place.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.